we are (not) princes

⠀⠀⠀That night, far past midnight, the men returned from the meeting. Only the sound of horse hooves slapping the dusty ground could be heard in the distance. Sluggishly, Yuichiro hopped off of his horse and handed the reigns to Mikaela. Emerald eyes didn't dare meet the concerned sapphire ones as he slowly began to walk towards the castle, but not without saying, "Please make sure Princess has enough hay and water in her bucket. Once you're done, please wait in your room."

⠀⠀⠀It was nearly darker than an abyss outside, yet the male was still going to be awake. Mikaela made a soft hum as a sign he heard and would oblige. After gently guiding both his horse and Princess back to the stables and making sure there was a sufficient amount of water, the male dusted off his hands before making his way back into the home. It was just as lively inside at night as it was during the day, as if no one in the castle got proper rest. There were slaves dusting every nook and cranny, a few chefs cooking breakfast that would be served the next morning, which would be in the next five hours or so.

⠀⠀⠀Peculiarly enough, Mikaela didn't feel as tired as he thought he would be and decided to help out the other slaves with their workload. He was in the kitchen within seconds, his eyes examining the load of dishes stacked on the far side of a stool, threatening to collapse at any second. Beside the stool were two women still in their dirty clothing, wiping away rapidly at the stains on the dishes whilst also pushing their hair behind their ears due to their jerky movements. One of the women looked up, immediately noticing the male's presence.

⠀⠀⠀"Good morning, Mikaela," the women said with a rather exhausted smile. "What brings you here? How was the meeting? I advise you to get some rest soon— you've had a long day, I'm sure."

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela grinned, "A very long day, indeed. Fortunately, I am not as tired as you'd think. I was ordered to wait around for Sir Yuichiro, but perhaps my time would be well spent helping around with other tasks."

⠀⠀⠀The woman shakes her head, "Oh, no, no— please, we don't want to do that to you."

⠀⠀⠀"I insist, madam."

⠀⠀⠀"You're so lucky to have been chosen as a personal escort and slave, yet you're here doing the tasks that us, well, average slaves, do..." she speaks up again once Mikaela settles down, rolling up his sleeves and taking a plate in his hands. "Our Sir Yuichiro is so blessed to have you. Frankly, I am highly grateful for your addition into the family. I know you have done much for our prince, and you have greatly changed his life— as well as ours, too."

⠀⠀⠀Listening quietly, Mikaela nods occasionally to the other slave's words, noticing how touched she was in everything he's done for the kingdom as well as Yuichiro. Eventually, once he is almost finished with the stack of small dishes and porcelain teacups, the women are already moving on to other subjects that don't include himself. They laugh as if there was no care in the world around them, and it is the happiest Mikaela has ever seen the slaves since arriving. Half an hour later, Akane comes around, her eyes seeming to be searching for something... or someone.

⠀⠀⠀Slipping by the kitchen, Akane squeaks and her eyes gleam as if she had found the person she was looking for, "Mikaela, there you are! I was searching everywhere for you. Sir Yuichiro told me he sent you to your room, but once I got there, you were gone."

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela nods, bowing his head slightly as an apology, "Sorry. What did you need me for?"

⠀⠀⠀Akane hums, thinking carefully before she shrugs her shoulders in genuine unknowingness. "I really don't know. Sir Yuichiro just ordered that I go and fetch you— he'll be in his bathroom. Knock before going in, remember!"