we are (not) humans

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro was in the process of putting on his usual, freshly washed suit when a knock upon his bedroom door interrupted the silence. It was early, the brink of dawn barely climbing the horizon. He took a quick glance at the sun dial outside. With a slow, "Come in," he continued to button up his top and equip his sheathed sword.

⠀⠀⠀From behind him, the large door creaked ajar, a tall and muscular figure stood attached to the doorway. Mikaela, in his new servant uniform, kept his eyes on the ground as he waited. It didn't take much for Yuichiro to sputter out coughs from how take aback he was. God, how could someone look so handsome? "Mika, I said you could come in."

⠀⠀⠀"I would rather not."

⠀⠀⠀As usual, the other wouldn't open up to him.

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro sighed, rolling his eyes in the process as he collected himself in front of a slightly foggy, unclear mirror.

⠀⠀⠀ Dawn was when his father would be awake, and it was the time said man had ordered for Mikaela to prove himself. The raven-haired male was still anxious. He didn't know if he could even begin to put his faith in Mikaela to win a fight against... whomever he chose. Sure, the male spoke confidently last night— could he trust that? But then again, he felt a rush of exhilaration course through his veins at the thought of seeing a slave successfully win a duel between a noble or any higher up. As he strolled out of his room, Mikaela at his side, he began to trail towards the lawn two stories below, their boots clapping against the wood.

⠀⠀⠀Outside, Colonel Guren stood on the gravel area of the lawn, his head held high and eyelids shut as he enjoyed the cooling breeze dancing within the atmosphere. At the sight of Yuichiro and Mikaela, he grinned, "Ah, so you must be that slave everyone has been gossiping about, hm?"

⠀⠀⠀"Yes, Colonel," Mikaela confirms.

⠀⠀⠀"What is your name?"

⠀⠀⠀"Mikaela, Colonel."

⠀⠀⠀"And you, Mikaela, can fight?"

⠀⠀⠀"Yes, Colonel."

⠀⠀⠀Guren seemed to want to snicker at the fact Mikaela was so strict with calling him his title. His dark irises flickered with a sense of interest, and he hums with thought. "On second thought, son, maybe I will take this fight into my own hands."

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro didn't even have enough time to part his lips in a shocked plead, for his father came darting towards him at unimaginable speed, his gloved hands latching onto his torso. He was then picked up from off the dusty ground and thrown over his father's back. Guren stood in one place, his hands securely on his waist, "Prove yourself here and now, Mikaela. It is a hard job being the escort of my beloved and only son, so this is what you will do to prove to me you can protect him.

⠀⠀⠀"First," Guren says. "You will fight three of my highest ranked men, not all at once, but I guarantee you, it will be one hell of a time. They aren't my best for nothing.

⠀⠀⠀"Second and lastly," Guren adds. "If you can get past through them, you'll challenge me. If you can so much as touch me with my Yuichiro upon my back, you'll qualify."

⠀⠀⠀From any point of view, one would think this ridiculous challenge would be simple as cake, but Yuichiro, the colonel's son, knows better than to believe that. His father was quick, both physically and mentally— multiple thoughts and plans would sprout within seconds, and it was that skill that kept him alive when in war or on a mission. There is no doubt that Colonel Guren is the most elite soldier they have in Japan. In overall, Yuichiro couldn't help but think... this is impossible.