we are (not) burdens

⠀⠀⠀Everything that occurred after that became a blur through the eyes of the raven-haired noble. He could remember his lips moving, slowly, rasping for brief breaths as he attempted to complete one life-changing sentence—

⠀⠀⠀"I will marry your daughter... for unity."

⠀⠀⠀Faintly, Yuichiro could remember the smile that graced not only Crowley's face, but also his own father's. It had been so long since his father had cracked even the slightest grin for anything he had done, and really, the raven should be happy he'd finally done something... acceptable through the eyes of his guardian. But he couldn't— no, it was impossible.

⠀⠀⠀In replacement to his masked happiness, there was that rise of disgust and sickness that etched itself within his stomach. It bubbled up inside, and Yuichiro could remember having to clutch the ends of his attire tightly in order to stop himself from throwing up then and there. And, goodness, that distant look that graced Mikaela's features was one he didn't want to envision, to ever soak in— it was as if time had reversed itself to the times the slave had been overly cautious of the noble; the times where the slave had only trusted himself and owned no sense of emotion for anything else.

⠀⠀⠀And that killed him inside.

⠀⠀⠀This isn't what he wanted— no, not at all.

⠀⠀⠀But it didn't matter what he wanted.

⠀⠀⠀This was for his kingdom, for his people.

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela stood at Guren's side as Crowley hummed with delight, delivering a speech of both content and astonishment. My daughter will be so, so grateful to marry you, he had said, she has been attached to you for your bravery and, just as much as you, wanted to stop this bloodshed once and for all. Crowley approached Yuichiro once more as he bowed down in farewell, "Soon, we will plan this wonderful, peaceful wedding. It will be the event of the century, without a doubt. Not only will you and my daughter be forever known for your sacrifice, you will bring everlasting serenity between both kingdoms. Your people will never know a time of bloodshed and war, nor of hunger and poverty. Isn't that wonderful?"

⠀⠀⠀It was so forced— the way Yuichiro nodded his head, murmuring in agreement. How forced. How fake. How unforgiving it was to know that, in his mind, he wasn't happy with the upcoming future. How selfish. How shameful.

⠀⠀⠀As soon as Crowley and his men took their leave, his father showered him with praise towards his difficult, impactful decision. It left Yuichiro feeling exhausted and sorry for himself. After all, his father was right— he had made the decision on his own, not because he was forced or pressured, but because he knew it would be best.

⠀⠀⠀Best for who?

⠀⠀⠀That was all he could hear repeating within his mind— that one agonizing question in which the answer was wrong.

⠀⠀⠀Best for my people.

⠀⠀⠀Best for my kingdom.

⠀⠀⠀Best for the future.

⠀⠀⠀Best for who?