we are (not) traitors

⠀⠀⠀The news stuns Yuichiro more than he can admit. Despite being settled upon his throne, the king can feel his knees begin to quiver as if he had no support and could collapse at any moment. The letter is left unopened— the wax is dried, neat and pretty, and Yuichiro almost wants to leave it that way. He doesn't want to read the contents that could be stained upon the paper; he doesn't want to see the sable ink, doesn't want to feel the thickness of the paper, doesn't want to smell the freshness of its material. But he has to— and he knows that.

⠀⠀⠀Akane watches him— Yuichiro can feel her amber irises on him like a hawk, and he swears that he heard a light gasp once he rips apart the stamp and removes the letter's contents. Unraveling the folded paper, sweaty fingertips grasp at the ends, and he begins to read. Out loud or not, he knows not. All Yuichiro knows is that he is reading, processing the information like a machine, and truly containing it.

Greetings, King Yuichiro.

⠀⠀⠀ We are pleased to announce the rising of a new king. King Mikaela has requested that we invite all men and women of royalty in order to enjoy a party. We hope that you, King Yuichiro, and your beloved Queen Krul may consider attending this exciting event.

⠀⠀⠀ Sincerely,
⠀⠀⠀ The Hyakuya Family

⠀⠀⠀Short and sweet, Yuichiro thinks to himself. It's been years since he's ever seen or heard of the name, a name he's known so well. To ever think that the day has finally come— where Mikaela (oh, how badly he misses him) has finally risen to rein a kingdom of his own— it makes Yuichiro's heart ache agonizingly so. The young ruler himself clears his throat and folds the letter back into its contained shape before tucking it neatly back inside the envelope and giving it back to Akane, to whom gracefully held it against her chest. Her eyes are filled with concern and curiosity as she takes a deep breath, words leaving her lips softly, "The Hyakuya Family would like a response from you as soon as possible, King."

⠀⠀⠀ Mindlessly, Yuichiro taps his fingers against his throne. He doesn't know if he wants to attend, or if he even should. Too many things could go wrong— his secret, forbidden love for the new king could light up a spark inside him, causing unpredictable actions— regrettable ones. Attending the party would be dangerous, for his emotions... Yuichiro knew he was never good with controlling his emotions.

⠀⠀⠀ Seeing his distress, Akane grins lightly. Placing a soft hand on his shoulder, she leans in. "Don't overthink it. You know what's good for you, and everyone trusts your decision. Besides," Akane gives a tender squeeze, "I am sure King Mikaela would love to see you again. It's been so long— even I miss seeing him around."

⠀⠀⠀ Yuichiro could sense the longing in her voice as if it were his own, and he could feel himself falling for this one opportunity to see Mikaela again.

⠀⠀⠀ But he knows better— he shouldn't.

⠀⠀⠀ And so he looks back up Akane, the words of refusal fresh and confident on the edge of his tongue, if it weren't for look of said woman's countenance as well as the hand that made its way into his shoulder. Her fingers burrowed into the expensive crimson silk of his cape, gripping Yuichiro with such intensity that it almost scares him. It wasn't like Akane to touch him due to the implication that such gesture was disrespectful, and for her to do so so suddenly must've meant she truly wanted to get her words across. Attentively, the king glances at her; Akane leans in close, lips to his ear.