we are (not) nobles

⠀⠀⠀By dusk, Yuichiro and Mikaela managed to quietly sneak through the darkened cloak of night towards the back of the raven's home, a large mansion constructed with the prettiest of brick and cobblestone that could accompany more than three families. Behind that very dwelling was a smaller, less tidied and cared for building where the rest of the slaves were kept. Boots scraping across the gravel, Yuichiro lead them to the slave's area where one of his father's servants was keeping guard, a yawn leaving their lips.

⠀⠀⠀"Akane," Yuichiro whispers.

⠀⠀⠀Snapping her spine back into a straight segment, the female called Akane perked up to see the other males. Her eyebrows furrowed in utter confusion, and it only took a few seconds for the realization to dawn upon her. "Sir Yuichiro, that better not be what I think it is. Another slave? Oh, Colonel Guren will not be happy."

⠀⠀⠀"I know, I know," Yuichiro grumbles as if he was tired of hearing the same thing being told to him. "But I need you to keep him covered. I will pay you back with all the supper you'd like, and perhaps more free time for yourself. Please, my father cannot know of this. At least, not yet."

⠀⠀⠀Akane sighs, "Sir Yuichiro, you make no sense sometimes. All I hear from you is that you would never purchase a slave— you claimed to never even want one, for and there was nothing a slave could do that you couldn't. What is this sudden change of heart?"

⠀⠀⠀Frankly, Yuichiro himself doesn't even know what the hell in him decided to get a slave, a rare and expensive one, at that. All he can explain is that he felt drawn in by Mikaela, a sense of want and desire clawing at him. But of course, he wasn't going to tell Akane what he felt. He ruffles his hair out of agitation towards this interrogation, his voice rising, "Look, just do me this one favor and hide him for a few days. I'll come every so often to check up on him so the other servants don't have to. One favor is all I ask for. Get him a place where the rest of our residents won't see him, won't even suspect there's one extra being here."

⠀⠀⠀Akane hums. She's required to do what Colonel Guren's son wants, but then again, she is also ordered to give all reports about what happens within the slave's area. How hard of a punishment could she receive if she were to defy the colonel?

⠀⠀⠀"Mm, fine, I'll do just that and won't speak a word of his presence," Akane agrees, "but on one condition— what is the reason for getting a slave?"

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro doesn't want to hear this question anymore. "Guren told me to get an escort, right? Right, so here he is. He's not a slave, he is my new escort— my personal servant."

⠀⠀⠀"Y'know, Guren has plenty of servants he is willing to give to you. You didn't have to go out of your way to purchase a new one."

⠀⠀⠀"I know, I get it, my fault."

⠀⠀⠀"How much was he?"

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro doesn't answer. His cheeks are beginning to feel warm, and he can't deny the spreading of vibrant crimson and gentle rose-pink. Akane, she can be such a tease. "Three million..."

⠀⠀⠀"Ooh, is that so? Why so much for him?"

⠀⠀⠀"Akane!"

⠀⠀⠀The brunette laughs, and she waves her hand in front of her face, signaling she was finished with her everlasting teases. "No worries, Sir Yuichiro. Though, I would recommend giving him a bath or something. New clothes and such, too."