we are (not) enemies

⠀⠀⠀The party's atmosphere dimmed drastically, leaving an astonished and terrified crowd of nobles along with expressions filled with dread. It was one thing to duel with the fear of being injured horribly, but a fight to the death was a completely different situation altogether. Head down, Yuichiro ignored the small touches his friends tried to give him when he pushed past them, eyes downcast and ebony bangs concealing his narrowed, angry eyes.

⠀⠀⠀Lest and his own crowd began to follow suit, an aura of confidence and superiority radiating from the smaller noble. Eventually, everyone who had been invited by the party was out on the Sangū's lawn, lined out as they held their glasses of wine and pastries. Mitsuba held a face of worry, seeing this was all happening within her premises. She began to stomp her way towards the center of the lawn where Yuichiro and Lest stood, face-to-face, though several yards apart. Quickly, Kimizuki gently takes hold of her elbow, yielding her from doing so.

⠀⠀⠀"There is nothing you can say to get both of them to stop. It is an even more dangerous thing to step in between two weapons, Mitsuba," Kimizuki whispered. "Just leave them be."

⠀⠀⠀"Someone is going to die here," the blonde noble screeched, whipping her head back to glare at him angrily, "and you want me to let that happen? Hell, it could be Yuichiro that is the one to lose his life, and you're telling me to leave them be? That man out there is Lest Karr, and he is only known to be the most swift and agile swordsman in all of Tokyo. How could Yuichiro possibly win this?"

⠀⠀⠀"Mitsu," Shinoa states sharply.

⠀⠀⠀"You think I should leave him, too?"

⠀⠀⠀"Yuu-san will be okay."

⠀⠀⠀"What makes you think that?"

⠀⠀⠀"Trust me," was all Shinoa could say.

⠀⠀⠀Beyond the crowds, Lest was the first to draw out his rapier, a thin but sharp weapon. Soon followed Yuichiro with his own, slowly and steadily unsheathing the object from within its case. The area was engulfed with complete silence— not even the slightest drop of water from Mitsuba's fountain could be heard. Concentrated, the raven could only think about how this fight would bring honor to his family name. His father would be more proud of him, would trust him to defend himself, would see more potential to lead his army one day. This fight held a lot of importance.

⠀⠀⠀Except, he had to kill someone.

⠀⠀⠀Horrified, the realization struck him. Jade eyes widened, sable pupils dilated, and gloved hands began to tremble with the thought of having to take the life from another human. This is what they did in war, Yuichiro knew. His blood ran cold in his veins, the pulsing of his heart too much for him to handle, but he forced himself to concentrate. Lest could attack at any moment, and if he wasn't ready, it would only take the male a few agile swipes before he was done for.

⠀⠀⠀Thirty seconds later, Lest was sprinting towards him, blade glistening in the sunlight and reflecting off and blurring Yuichiro's sights. With jagged and uncoordinated movements of his feet, he manages to avoid the male's attempts to cut skin. Dirt flies between the two men, slightly creating Yuichiro to lose sight of Lest once more before his instincts screeched at him to dodge yet again, another attack at his torso. If only the raven was as quick as the other, to both see, predict, and attack at such swiftness— it is a shame to see Yuichiro could possibly die here.

⠀⠀⠀Slicing the atmosphere, the dust or dirt flying between them deteriorates, and Yuichiro locks on to his opponent, pupils in slits once he finds Lest is in front of him again. He can feel the pulsing of his own veins, the sudden rush of adrenaline, his mind repeating his motives to kill— the words of what the other noble had said before echoes in his head, stimulating his urge to prove himself worthy, to show the rest of the nobles that he is the one, the one that can and will lead his father's men to victory. Yuichiro feels the erratic beating of his heart once his rapier attempts to scratch at Lest's frame vertically.