we are (not) conquerors

⠀⠀⠀"Mika..."

⠀⠀⠀"Mika, wake up..."

⠀⠀⠀"Mika, wake up!"

⠀⠀⠀Breath leaving his lungs abruptly, Mikaela jerks his entire body forward, his hands gripping for dear life at his cotton bedsheets. Cerulean eyes blinking slowly, vision somewhat blurry due to the sudden wakefulness; but with time, eventually his eyes returned to normal, and he turns his head to the voice that had once been calling his name. If it were not for the nickname, Mikaela was sure he would have his hands wrapped around the throat of his foe, sword unsheathed and prepared to shed blood.

⠀⠀⠀But of course, it was just his beloved noble.

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela stared lovingly at Yuichiro despite his slightly exhausted eyes, a small grin replacing the frantic patting of his lips. His noble looked as clean and handsome as always— though, to him, the man was getting more and more attractive every day. With a yawn, the blond says, "Good morning, Yuu-chan."

⠀⠀⠀"Good morning, Mika," Yuichiro replies with his own smile, voice soft and low to accommodate for the way he had barged into his room, yelling to no limit. "I apologize for... alarming you, but you didn't wake up like you usually do. I got a little worried thinking something had happened, so I came to come get you."

⠀⠀⠀It was peculiar. For once, Mikaela had not been the early bird— and he didn't know if that was a good thing or not.

⠀⠀⠀Grunting slightly, the slave moved out of his bed in order to get dressed for the rest of the day. According to the brightness outside, he wasn't that off of his normal routine; but there was still no doubt that he was a little late. Slipping on his uniform and adjusting the buttons, Mikaela looks back towards his noble through the mirror, observing as said male played with the scarlet-hued amulet he wore each day. "If I may ask, what are we doing today? I know it isn't my place to say this, but perhaps you should get back to training soon. Just because there isn't necessarily a war doesn't mean you can lay around. Your body has to keep in shape or else you'll face the consequences."

⠀⠀⠀At this, Yuichiro snorts. "Me? Training? Don't make me laugh! I could fight a whole army with one weapon singlehandedly with little trouble."

⠀⠀⠀This time, Mikaela laughs. "Are we talking about the same person? The last time I remember you fighting anyone, you couldn't even battle a few of King Crowley's knights— and they were so weak, so inexperienced, it made me frown to think these men were the ones who were protecting his valuable kingdom."

⠀⠀⠀"Eh? I don't remember that!"

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela chuckles, finishing up the last of his golden buttons before dusting himself off. He turns towards Yuichiro once more, eyes narrow and sharp like the edge of a dagger. "But I am serious, Yuu-chan. Anything could happen. War doesn't wait for permission, and you know that."

⠀⠀⠀The light playfulness of the atmosphere dissipates within seconds, and the raven allows his chin to drop forward, emerald gaze darkening like a shadow. "There won't be a war, Mika. I made sure that my people and my kingdom would be protected from that. Why else would I agree to marry Krul, Mika? I would never willingly marry her."

⠀⠀⠀"I am not saying you would have. I am simply saying that King Crowley's words can't be trusted. Declaration of war is not the only way for blood to spill."