we are (not) fools

⠀⠀⠀Buoyant, cheerful humming could be heard from one end of the wooden hallway to the other. It was far too early— far too early so that the sunrise was not even evident beyond the horizon; no rays snuck past the haunted cage of the land beyond, leaving only the mere twinkling of stars to swim and dance amongst the dark clouds. Mikaela knew he wasn't permitted to wake up and accompany his noble throughout the castle yet, but for some peculiar reason... he could not stay asleep. It was one of those restless, stirring nights.

⠀⠀⠀Yawning, Mikaela decided to ready himself for a the day and get his hands working. It was so like the slave to want to help others that the women in the kitchen expected him to pop out, having much for him to do to wake him up.

⠀⠀⠀The sweet, savory aroma of honey, sugar, and floury dough filled the atmosphere leading into the kitchen like perfume wafting through the air. It lured Mikaela in like a charming spell, and before he knew it, he was trailing in and encountering the three women— one had recently joined, a young female with the talent to bake— hard at work. It was working out smoothly, had it not been for the sudden gasp and outcry of, "We don't have any more sugar!"

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela let out a breathy laugh.

⠀⠀⠀One of the women looked up from where she was upon the wooden table, her sleeves pulled up all the way to her powder-infested elbows and hands stiff above the dough she had been recently working on. "Oh, my, Mikaela! It is so nice to see you up this early. Come in, come in!"

⠀⠀⠀The male complied, boots squeaking against the wooden floors as he made his way to stand just in front of the large, rectangular-shaped table. He kept his distance, not wanting to be covered with the goods that so happened to spray all over their station. Mikaela glanced around, watching as the others slowly ceased their own works. He smiled politely, "I apologize if I disturbed you. I just wanted to know if you'd like any help this... fine morning."

⠀⠀⠀Another woman nodded ferociously. "Why, help is definitely what we need! I think we might need to drop by the market and pick us up another pound or two of sugar— and goodness, we might be low on honey!"

⠀⠀⠀The youngest of the three hummed with approval, "If we want to serve this to the king and his son soon, we need to make sure it tastes perfect. And the lack of sugar and honey won't do it." She turned to Mikaela, an apologetic and awkward smile settled on her lips. "If you wouldn't mind, could you stay here and massage the dough I have here?"

⠀⠀⠀That was not what he was expecting.

⠀⠀⠀"I– I, uh..." Mikaela stuttered, his eyebrows rising at the request. "I was thinking. I could get the sugar and honey—"

⠀⠀⠀"No, no!" She exclaimed. "There are too many people that lie about their honey! I cannot display my skills with mediocre ingredients, no I cannot! I have to be there, standing in front of the tent, and seeing them with my own eyes."

⠀⠀⠀"B-But, with all due respect—"

⠀⠀⠀"I send you eternal gratefulness, Mikaela!" The female interrupted as she untied her ragged, stained apron. "We will be back before Sir Yuichiro awakens— when you feel like the dough is alright, feel free to leave it near the firestone, but not inside of it, of course."

⠀⠀⠀With that, the two women left on their way towards the market while the other marched out of the kitchen in hopes to make it to the agricultural area of the kingdom. As soon as the wooden door slammed shut behind them, leaving the blond to himself amidst the flour-infested room, Mikaela sighed loudly. Frankly, he didn't awaken earlier than usual just to touch some thick dough and risk dirtying his uniform with golden honey or white powder. But orders were orders, he supposed.