we are (not) savages

⠀⠀⠀The party only seemed to get livelier as the night went on. Drinking luscious wine became as prominent as dancing was, and hardly any took a moment to collect themselves as they elegantly chugged down a glass of crimson alcohol before twirling around in the ballroom. Yuichiro didn't mind standing amongst a crowd, watching as women danced with their partners; dresses almost like sunflowers during springtime as they spun and dipped and slid. But he did find himself becoming uneasy the more he stared up towards the bright, blinding chandeliers above; thus, politely, the raven king excused himself from the crowd consisting of his father and other royalty members and headed towards an unknown hallway.

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro didn't know where he was going, but he couldn't care less where he ended up because here was better than that mess of a crowd in the ballroom. Twirling his wine glass with a sigh, he found himself walking out onto a nearby balcony where blackened skies met pristine stone. To be gazing upon constellations— a perfect and fateful trail of connected stars— was a cure for Yuichiro's feelings of restlessness and pain, and for a brief moment, he felt as though he could breathe. The night air was crisp and its breeze was cool, a sensation Yuichiro wanted to cherish for as long as he was here. Another sip of his expensive wine made it all the better.

⠀⠀⠀Placing his glass down, Yuichiro folded his arms and leaned forward against the stoned railing, lost in thought as his mind began to race from the alcohol's energetic kick. His cheeks grew warmer, hiccups following moments after as the raven slipped further and further into a drunken state. The young king felt as though he would've passed out if it weren't for the soft footsteps echoing behind him.

⠀⠀⠀"Alone?"

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro knew that voice like he knew the map of his territory. He didn't need to see who it was and, frankly, he didn't want to. Only Mikaela would come looking for him— that, he knew for sure.

⠀⠀⠀"I see you're enjoying the wine. Although, its bitterness reaches your tastebuds before the sweetness does. I can see why you'd still enjoy it, nonetheless."

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro closes his eyes when he senses that Mikaela has approached him, standing merely a foot apart upon the same balcony.

⠀⠀⠀"Yuu-chan," Mikaela practically begs. "Look at me, please."

⠀⠀⠀Oh, how Yuichiro wants to meet his demands and lift his chin to gaze at his past-lover. But he fights the urge with as much might as he can, standing his ground. The raven keeps his eyes shut and his head slightly tilted away from Mikaela, and with even the merest movement from the other, Yuichiro refused to flinch. It isn't until Mikaela sighs does the young king falter.

⠀⠀⠀"I didn't mean to hurt you."

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro forcefully swallows down the words that edge the tip of his tongue.

⠀⠀⠀"I loved you— I still love you. But I had to leave. My mother was still alive, and my people were still searching for me. I couldn't just let them down." Once again, another soft sigh. "Even then, I regret leaving you."

⠀⠀⠀It was enough to catch Yuichiro's attention, for the young raven finally opened his eyes and turned to face the man he so desperately wanted to see, to hold, and to have. To see Mikaela up close was an enchantment upon himself: the blond had changed plenty over the years but somehow, Yuichiro knew that his past-lover was nonetheless the same. Despite his now taller frame and bulkier build, Mikaela still upheld his calm, gentle, and confident demeanor. Moreover, the soft lift of his cheeks whenever he smiled was just... so Mikaela-like. And the gleam of his sapphire eyes— so hardened but illuminative— was enough to communicate to Yuichiro that this was his Mikaela.