we are (not) companions

⠀⠀⠀ The moment Yuichiro opens his eyes, a sudden jerk of agony strikes his head as if he were being hit with a mallet. His vision is slightly blurred, eyelids struggling to remain ajar as they're weighed down, but with much effort, he manages to keep them up. For the first time, he feels warmth embracing his body after being injured, whether that be from a rough day of training or a small town's raid. Slowly, the man attempts to pull his hands out from under the covers, only to find someone's head resting upon it.

⠀⠀⠀ Immediately, Yuichiro recognizes it as Mikaela's.

⠀⠀⠀ The man was asleep, eyes lightly shut and his lips pursed as if out of annoyance. In a way, he looked more gentle and peaceful. Yuichiro softly sat himself up upon his bed with his other hand, head still spinning wildly but not enough that he couldn't manage himself. Stirring to the sudden movement, Mikaela's irises blinked awake, and he stood up abruptly with his spine straight, knees bent, and eyebrows furrowed as if in a defensive state. The noble watched this swift change in state with impressed yet sad eyes. Who knows how many times Mikaela had to do that— always in danger, always having to be prepared to defend himself, never being able to truly rest.

⠀⠀⠀ Mikaela breathes heavily for a brief moment, accessing his surroundings before confirming it as not a threat. With a soft sigh, his oceanic eyes land upon Yuichiro, a relieved expression on his cheeks. "Sir Yuichiro, you're awake... are you alright?"

⠀⠀⠀ Yuichiro grins, "I am. How long have I been asleep?"

⠀⠀⠀"After your duel with Noble Lest Karr, you were severely injured and lost a fair amount of blood. If you hadn't awoken now, it would've marked you asleep for over two days," Mikaela says, his eyes downcast. "I apologize for not protecting you. I have failed you and your father."

⠀⠀⠀ Forest-green orbs follow the saddened expression on his servant's face; the way his own orbs seemed to darken and hollow like the sable waters within a deep sea, the way the blond bit forcefully upon his lip, the way he refused to look at his noble. Yuichiro shook his head quickly, gaining Mikaela's attention once more when he throws the covers off of his dry-blood, bandaged body. The dusted hue of the white bandages wrapped around Yuichiro's torso has grown dulled off, a small tint of pink exposing upon the surface as the colors red and white combine. Attempting to slide off of the bed, the raven feels that reoccurring of pain that takes his breath away, and he falls back onto the covers.

⠀⠀⠀ Mikaela outstretches his hands, quickly grasping upon Yuichiro's shoulders to keep his steady. "You shouldn't be moving. Rest is what you need."

⠀⠀⠀ In a way, Yuichiro knows that the blond is right. But there's that other part of his mind that whispers negative things to him, low and threatening, to the point it influences him. His father's men get injured all of the time after war, some rarely having the strength to survive. Despite this, they are still full of miraculous strength; an unstoppable mindset that grants the soldiers never ending power over their bodies— injured or near death. Huffing irritably, the raven pushes himself back on to his elbows, slightly breathless, and settles upon the pillows.

⠀⠀⠀"It wasn't your fault I became... like this," the noble says slowly, "I was just being another burden to you and my father."

⠀⠀⠀ Mikaela parts his lips to speak, barely getting out a supportive word of disagreement to the statement before Yuichiro raises his hand objectively. He isn't in the mood to talk about his insecurities and weaknesses. He knows he has them. He just doesn't want to face them. Yuichiro crinkles his nose, shaking his head as if doing so will rid of those thoughts. At that moment, he can feel his stomach bellow loudly, crying for attention.