Chapter 5 - Counting Stars

It's snowing outside. There is white stuff falling from the sky! We were on our Christmas break already. No school for one week! This is the first time I've been happy in months.

Without and texts because my number had been changed, and bullying for about a month I was feeling better. No doubt I felt that this was a turning point in my stressed out life.

Yesterday had been the last day of school for the month. Phil and his buddies seemed to have found another poor victim to pick on. I felt so bad for whoever it was.

Today was Christmas Eve. I'm Jewish though.. so yeah. But I was spening my day off lying in bed on my laptop getting ready to film a new video.

After I was done filming I sat down and slept through the afternoon.

The entire weekend was fun and peaceful. But now we were back to school but it really arrived faster than expected. I'm not saying that I completely dreaded going back to school but that I was sort of looking forward to it. Sort of. Don't get all melodramatic on me.

Things were not perfect.

I stepped onto campus half expecting to be bombarded with snowballs and violent threats because, let's face it, it hasn't stopped all together. But I liked to believe that it did. I've been trying to keep positive.

The school hadn't changed. All that had was that we were now in the second semester.

Among the lockers in the main hallway I saw a couple staring into each others eyes. Not caring who might be paying attention, they kissed.

I immeadiately felt a pang of loneliness. I mean, we all know high school is not clichè but wished that it was. And, even if it wasn't, everywhere you turn there is a guy and a girl holding hands. It really is inescapable.

The bell rang, snapping me out of my deep thoughts.

I dragged my ass to homeroom.

I walked through the door finding I was the first to arrive.

"Morning, Mr. Sivan." Mr. Calahan greeted me.

I greeted him back, took my seat, and leaned back.

I had an uncomfortable feeling when Robbie walked into the room. His face was uneasy. I could tell he was upset.

There was a bruise starting to form under his left eye. I was on the verge of asking when Robbie told me himself.

"Troye, it was Phil. His goons took me aside and he gave me a clean blow. I'm okay though. Please don't say anything."

I was furious. Why Robbie? What had he done to deserve this? Rather me than him. I asked him why.

"He just wanted to use someone as a punching bag for the past few weeks. I'm fine though. It's okay. I'm fine." He replied.

I told myself that I was going to take Phil aside. What do I have to lose?

Robbie attempted to warn me not to admonish Phil, but I just couldn't let this one go. I should at least stand up for my best friend since I couldn't for myself.

"Lunchtime." I said.

The lunch room was half full. Or half empty if you wanted to be pessimistic. I easily spotted Phil. The only guy with a beard. I made my way to where he sat. With his back turned to me, I grabbed his shoulder. His big meaty shoulder, all that muscle, I tried to grab. I attempted to turn his face toward me.

I epically failed.

Phil grabbed my hand and shoved me. I went for it. I might as well speak while I've still got teeth.

"Leave him alone." I assertedly spoke.

"'scuse me?" I sighed.

"Why don't you pick on someone your own size?!" I know, pretty clichè, but a good argument.

"Because, there are only runts in this school. You included. Now back away before I lose my temper, you dag."

And with that I wasn't pursued. I didn't get beaten up, torn down, or threatened. Though I had lost the fight, I know I could have said more but if I did I wouldn't be thinking about this right now.

At least I could tell Robbie that I tried. But then I thought of Robbie, his bruised cheek bone, the pain. He did not deserve that.

I turned around swiftly and trekked to Phil.

My hand on his shoulder, I turned him in his chair, may I add, successfully.

My fist met his gut and I knew what was coming next. A left hook to the face. I dodged it and came back to hit him right out of the crappy yellow plastic chair that the school owned.

As Phil struggled back up to pummel me a lunch aid grabbed me by the arms and hauled us both away.

Only, Phil was taken to the nurse. I was taken to the disciplinarian. None other than, wait for it, Mr. Calahan. Yay.

You had to see this coming.

My English teacher looked up. Immeadiately, disappointment shown in his eyes. "Yes?"

"Grabbed this boy out of the lunch room. Quarreling with another classmate." She explained.

"Yes, thank you. You may get back to work." Calahan ordered kindly.

I was told to sit. I looked into my hands. Mr. Calahan cleared his throat and I focused mt eyes on him.

"What happened?"

"He provoked me. Hurt my friend." He looked confused.

"Who?"

"Phil. Phil Taylor." I confessed.

I didn't care what he said. Phil didn't win the fight, I did. Even if my sudden strength was just because of the adrenaline.

"Mr. Sivan!" I snapped out of the memory of my fist meeting Phil's skin.

"What has gotten into you? You've started slacking in my class and now you're picking fights with Super Seniors!" He exclaimed.

"I don't know. Maybe it's just a phase. It's not such a terrible thing." I said.

"Are you saying that you don't care about graduating high school?" He questioned me with such seriousness. This was my first offense. Calm down.

His face turned a deep red.

"Well, you should think before you act Mr. Sivan. You've got one weeks detention." His eyes were glued on me. "Starting today."

Perfect.

When I'd gotten home, I had to walk, my mum completely flipped.

"Where HAVE YOU BEEN TROYE?!"

She was still worried about me.

"I stayed after. Thought you knew. I sent you a text." I lied.

I hated to do it but I didn't want to confess that I had detention all week.

"Oh yeah. I'm going to be staying after all week for a... project." I fake informed her.

She seemed to believe my lies and just said that dinner would be ready soon.

My room looked like a mess. My left eye was blurry. Both of them were. I was crying.

I didn't exactly know why. The only reason I could think of was because I lied to mum. I wiped the tears away. Only to find that my room was a mess. It looked like every surface in here was examined. Thouroughly.

Papers were scatterd, lamps knocked over, desk drawers open.

"TYDE!" I yelled.

I screamed his name once again when he did not enter.

Instead, mum walked in.

"He left. He's at a friends house." She told me.

I stared at the mess. "Dinner's ready Troye."