Chapter 7 - Pompeii

After Tyler had dropped me off I'd sat on my front porch contemplating what I should do. I'd watched the cars go by on my relatively busy street. I'd listened to the crickets chirping throughout the front yard. I'd listened to my heart. And I'd replayed Tyler's words hoping they'd spark some courage into my courage-less, weak body.

Some of the courage I wished I had motivated me to at least go inside the house. I was only gone an hour, I was still surprised mum hadn't called the police. But she swarmed at me, as well as my father. I was bombarded with hugs and concerning questions. Where have I been. Am I okay?

As far as I was concerned I was feeling even worse than I had before I'd left my family earlier.

I knew I had to come clean, there was no way I could feel better until my parents, and Tyde, I thought reluctantly, knew the entire messed up, twisted story.

"Is Tyde here?" I asked. My dad shook his head. "He went looking for you."

He was only 13! "He's only 13!"

"I know. We couldn't stop him, Troye. Once he'd heard you storm out he knew he had to find you. We tried, Troye. We tried." My father looked like he was about to break down in tears. For once it wasn't me.

But who gave a damn about that? It was my fault.

"I'm sorry dad. Mum, I am sorry." I cried. I embraced them each in a hig so tightly Iwas sure I was hurting them.

I took a step back. I figured we should save the tears and hugs for our heart to heart moment later on.

My little brother was out on the streets looking for me.

"Alright, have you texted him? Anything?" I questioned.

"Yes, but he didn't want to give up looking for you."

My phone was upstairs in my bedroom. I skipped every other stair. I entered my room and grabbed my phone.

Once I'd unlocked it my text messages appeared. Tyde must have been snooping again.

I ran into Tyde's room thinking there might be some clue as to where he'd be. And then I'd remember that app I'd gotten. I forgot what the hell it was called.

I scrolled and dig into my phone until I found it. I had entered Tyde's number and now I could track his phone and where he was. I know, a but stalkerish, but he's my little brother.

"Mum, I need to borrow the car." I said.

"What for?" She asked while grabbing the keys.

"I'm going to get Tyde."

The tracker said he was somewhere downtown. Somewhere near a bar.

Gosh, where the hell is he? Then I spotted his bright green jumper. I honked the horn and rolled down the window.

"Tyde!"I parked the car and ran over to him. Put him under my arm.

"Tyde, what are you doing? You had me going for a second." I led him to the car. He looked tired, like he'd been out looking for me for 6 hours instead of 1.

"Where did you go? Why? Why did you leave?" His upset expression was enough to make me guilty. So, I gave him a half hearted smile and told him I'd explain it once we were home.

I closed the door and called out to my parents. They were sitting in the kitchen nervously awaiting our return. They were afraid I'd come back empty handed but once they;d seen Tyde they were all over him like a kid in a candy store.

"Dad, I need to talk to you. All of you. I- I think it's time to come clean."

He motioned us to the family room and they all sat in anticipation of the story that would soon be told.

I- I- I've been bullied ever since my first day at the new school." I paused to examine their reactions. They certainly did not looked so shocked at that fact.

"And I wanted to tell you that the fight I got into, well, th- I wasn't staying after school for a project, mum. I had detention. I had detention because I got into a fight with someone. Somebody who was bullying me, but had also started to bully my friend as well,

"I had to stand up for someone. If I couldn't stand up for myself then the least I could do was stand up for Robbie. Anyways, today I was- I w- was beaten up in the boys bathroom. Pretty badly." I looked at my mum who was crying, my dad who was close to tears again, and Tyde who was looking straight into my eyes telling me I was going to be okay. I spoke again.

"I've been feeling really down and depressed lately, as you could tell. It seems like since we moved here nothing has turned out well. I miss the always warm air surrounding me, the sun that shines practically all year round. I miss home. The bullying just added on to the top of the heap of distress and I broke underneath it.

"But today as I was out, I met someone. He saved my life. Literally. He grabbed me as I was about to jump-" My words were cut short with tears. I choked. But they had to know. I had to go on.

"He made me feel like I wasn't worthless. He told me I was worth it. He said I should tell you guys. He was the one who convinced me to tell the truth." I didn't tell them that I lied to him too. There would be another day for that.

"What is this boys name?" Dad asked.

"Tyler. Tyler Oakley." I answered.

I apologized for what I had done to them and embraced all of them for a good five minutes.

There would be another time and place to tell them all about Tyler. That is, if I ever see him again.

This is when I called it quits though. It was time for bed.

I said goodnight to my wonderful family and hit the bed. Hard.

Seriously, I tripped over my rug and fell into my bed.

Once I'd snuggled in and sleep was about to take me, well, you could guess who walked in.

"None other than my crazy, erratic brother Tyde." I spoke. "Just kidding. My loving brother who I care so much about." I paused. "Promise me you won't leave this house unless it is important. That is, when I storm out again or something of that sort."

I looked at Tyde in the moonlight.

"Tyde, know that I will always come back. Even if I feel like I've really lost it all, I'll still have you to come back to."

"I know."

"You okay?" I asked. He had a look of concern on his face.

"Yeah, I'm just glad that you are. I could never imagine my life without Troye Sivan. My irritating, foolish older brother." He joked.

That was one thing I liked about Tyde. He could always shine some light on things. Even the darkest place on earth.

That night, after Tyde left, I thought about how relieved I was. How great I felt. It certainly would be the best nights sleep I'll ever have since moving here.