Chapter 12 - The Depths

It's amazing how fast everything can turn upside down.

Think of how fast a boat capsizes and compare it to my life. I wish I could say that I was undaunted by all of this... this bullcrap, but I need to be straight with you. I am scared as hell. You would be too if you'd gotten that letter and then came home to find you were alone.

I was frightened to be anywhere by myself, but I had no where else to go at the moment. I never knew I could be this scared, especially since I had no damn idea who wrote that note in the first place! Sure, it could be Phil, but there's always a chance that it isn't. And I mean, Phil could play games but they were only mini games. This person has a bigger plan. And a bigger brain. And worse intentions.

I flip on all of the lights on my way through the house, jumping at every noise, cringing at every creak in my step. "Oh, God, help me." I cried silently.

I had to go upstairs at some point, I knew that. But I decided against it. It is dark up there and there is no easy way of escape up there. That is, unless you want to break both of your legs, maybe your entire body jumping out of the window.

So, no, I was keeping my ass glued to this couch and I was going to turn the television volume up to 50 and watch Blackfish until my mind is so lost I will never remember a thing I've ever read in my entire 18 years of living. I was also praying to God that some kind of Paranormal Activity thing wouldn't happen to me.

At least sleep was on my side. I fell into a deep sleep, a sleep that contained no dreams, nor nightmares. But that much needed nap didn't last very long. I awoke to a strange noise.

"Shit." There were light footsteps in the hallway. I rose slowly from the couch praying, again, to God that it wasn't a predator. I also grabbed a baseball bat from the closet and made my way to the... second floor.

I shouldn't be going up here.

My fingers gripped the bat tightly. My breaths came heavy as I crept closer to my brothers room. Completely empty.

I guess my parents room was next. If there was someone in my house I'm not so sure I'd really want to know, despite the fact that I'm searching it right now.

It occurred to me as I looked into my nearly vacant parents room that I'm being cliché. I mean, I'm white and I just heard a noise upstairs. And now I'm checking it out. I might as well call out ''hello'' to see if no one will answer.

But I decided to shut up and check my room quietly. A dark figure was coming through my window. Crap. I had to act, I had a weapon. That had to count for something, right?

Right?

I entered my room, approaching the dark figure. On three I'll swing.

One... Two... Three! "AHHH!" They screamed.

His face shone in the moonlight. I stopped swinging right before I hit Tyde's head.

"What the hell are you going?!" I screamed. "What are you doing?" Tyde asked in return.

"I- I thought you were a predator."

"What? Why?" He said.

I told my brother that I had just watched a horror film and was just uneasy.

"So, why were you coming through the window?" I questioned, genuinely curious.

"The door was locked. Your window is right next to the tree branch, I climbed up it."

God, I swear I just had a heart attack. A massive, massive heart attack.

"Okay, well, mum and dad aren't going to be home for a while. You want take-out?"