Chapter 10 - Be Alright

I was getting ready for my date with Tyler. He hadn't told me where we were going yet, so I decided for something casual to wear. That was all I owned after all. Casual, summery clothes.

Now that it was spring I could wear shorts again! I've been waiting, hell I don't know, 7 months.

I wore a sweater though because the weather was a bit nippy. My outfit: Black tank top, maroon-ish coloured shorts, and a pair of Toms.

My phone buzzed. Tyler.

Tyler: I'm outside.

I said goodbye to my mum and she wished me good luck. Outside, Tyler's car sat, not running. I opened the door and sat in the passenger seat. I took one look at Tyler and I knew something was wrong. Something happened.

"Ty, what's wrong? Are you alright?" When he looked up his eyes were blood shot, just like he'd been crying.

"Have you checked Twitter?" He sniffled.

I immediately opened up Twitter and looked at the worldwide trends.

Worldwide Trends:

Tyler Oakley

#LiamWeStandByYou

#TeamTyler

I went to Tyler's profile, read the tweets, checked out the trends more thoroughly, and looked up into Tyler's blue eyes.

"You never answered my question." I started. "Are. You. Alright?"

Tyler listened to my assertive words. "By the looks of it, no. No, I'm not."

I put my hand on his. I think that silence says more and gives more comfort than any words ever can.

"Do you want to come inside and talk about it? I've got an extremely approving family that would like to meet you. Plus, they're pretty supportive. They'll give it to you if you need it." I offered.

Tyler nodded. It seems he needed some more company than just I. My arm around his waist, holding him up, we trudged to the front door. I have never seen Tyler Oakley so sullen. As I helped him over the threshold my mum saw what was going on.

"What happened? Is he ill?" She ran over.

My date for the night then replied with, "Ill in the heart, yes."

"Looks like you need to sit. Here, let's get you to the couch, sweetie." She said.

I watched him struggle to walk and hoped my face didn't show too much of my concern. Like, you know. I was concerned. But I didn't want a superfluous amount of it shown on my face.

Tyler's face was paler than usual. Ghastly, actually, is a bit more accurate. How could someone do this to an innocent person? I mean, all of those words said to him, some of them from people who have supported him in the past, they just break my fucking heart. "How? Why?"

"Troye, may we have a word with you?" My parents spoke in the kitchen. "Uh. Yeah." I nodded.

"Bud, what happened to him? Tell us everything, ok?" My father asked of me.

I looked into the living room at Tyler. "It's, um, it's a bit easier if I just show you." I say. After all, Tyler is in the next room. We don't have an invisible sound-proof barrier, that we just press a button and- Presto! No. So, I flip out my iPhone and show them the article and tweets.

Once they're done reading they give me the look of approval to go to Tyler.

I sit next to him, place my hand on his, which he grips. Recognition. Good.

My mum and dad are no longer in the kitchen, so, Tyler and I are alone. I presume that they're upstairs telling Tyde to stay up in his room.

"Hey, do you wanna eat a tub of ice cream? Two tubs? Enough ice cream that we vomit?"

I only get a tiny smirk out of him. It looks more like a grimace.

I sit closer to him, without realizing, But as I do, I stop.

Eh, what have I got to lose?

Cuddling is just fine. It won't hurt him. To be honest, I think he really needs it.

I wrapped my arms around him. Hesitantly, he did the same. We just sat there, tears running down his face until he feel asleep. Until I fell asleep.

-:-:-:-

The next morning I awoke to sunshine. But Tyler wasn't there. "Tyler?" I whispered. I took a look around. It figures he wouldn't be here in the morning. I blew off the pain of rejection and decided the best thing to do would be to get breakfast.

"Food. Foood." I mumble, stepping on the carpeted floor. Only, I didn't step on the floor. I stepped on Tyler!

"Tyler! Oh, shit! I'm so sorry! Shit!" I apologized. Tyler cried out in pain. I helped him up. "How long have you been on the floor?"

"Oh. Ever since you kicked me off of the couch last night. But thanks for the apology." He was not a morning person.

Well, so much for the cute cuddling and falling asleep together, huh?

"Um, so, I- Do you want to sleep any longer, or do you want breakfast?"

Tyler contemplated another hour of sleep actually on the couch or breakfast. He chose sleep.

"Ok. Sleep it is." I talked to myself as he layed down on the couch.

So, now I was the only one up. Wait. What? What the hell has been going on lately? I've been the first one up for weeks. To tell you the truth I've been waking up before my family since we moved here. "I'll look into the problem later." I said aloud.

"Clearly I'm lonely if I am talking to myself."

"Troye. Shut. Up." Tyler groaned.

Chuckling, I left a note for my mum, dad, or brother, whoever woke up first, saying that I had taken the car over to Dunkin Donuts. Then, I grabbed the keys and hopped into the car.

20 minutes later I was on my way back with a dozen donuts, a bag of assorted muffins, and a carrier of coffee. And, what do you know, nobody was awake still. But once again, Tyler was missing.

Is this some sort of game? I thought to myself. Hide and seek?

I checked downstairs first, with no sign of him. I clombed the stairs, looking into each room until I found him in my bedroom. "Hey." I say quietly. "What're you doing?"

"Just looking. I woke up to go to the bathroom and glanced in here." He said.

"I guess you've figured out that it's mine then." I reply.

Tyler nods. "You're so neat for a Tumblr guy."

I laugh. "I know. There are a lot of things that I find odd about myself."

"Like what?" He asked curiously.

I clear my throat. I don't want him to know anything else. Not yet. Not here.

"Are you alright?" My face probably oozed concern.

"I've been better. But, I guess, sometimes there are moments where you've got to try to be optimistic." For a moment he looked stronger than ever. For a moment. "I just don't know how to be."

I wrap him in my arms and wipe the endless tears from his cheek. "Hush. It's okay. I'm here. Shh."

Sniffling, he puts his hand on top of mine. "I'm sorry. I'm not usually like this."

I chuckled. "I don't mind. I don't care if we have to do this every day just to make you feel better. It's nice having you in my arms. Something just feels right about it."

"Yeah." One word.

I could stay like this forever. But forever isn't possible right now. He doesn't know. Tyler doesn't know anything. How could forever work with all of that mess going on? So, instead, I stood and said, "C'mon. Let's get everyone up. I bought some breakfast."