Chapter 24 - Hundred

They let us out of the cell in the morning. I didn't understand how that was supposed to keep me safe for the night if I was locked in there with him. I walked outside into the sunlight once again, and I was able to really feel it. Tyde was gone, I didn't have to worry anymore. Tyler appeared behind me. I took one long look at him, remembering his features. His green-blue eyes, his dark rimmed glasses, his mint green hair. He was strong, so I knew that when I turned he wouldn't break down. Not right away, at least. I was not making any promises about me, though. When I reached the Quality Inn they had me set up in I was probably going to break down in tears. Already, they threatened to flood the banks. This would be the last time in a long while that I chose to see him. I had to savor it. Even if he betrayed my trust, I still cared about him. I don't know where that feeling was coming from, but it was there in my pitiful heart.

I captured the sight of him, just standing there, and with every ounce of strength I had left, I walked away. It won't be forever, I told myself, although I knew it was a lie. If I had half the heart he did, then it wouldn't be like this.

-:-:-:-

When I got to the hotel I went to the front desk to retrieve my room key. I tried my hardest not to look like I was in pain, but I couldn't hold it back.

"Are you okay, sir?" The manager asked.

"Wha- Yes. I am, thank you." I gave a fake smile that he could see straight through. It wasn't about pleasing everyone anymore. Sometimes you had to let people know how you were really feeling. "I'll be okay, sir. It's alright. You don't have to worry about me."

I fumbled with the key at my door, dropping it three times. When I entered I couldn't find it in myself to cry. I felt like crying, but I couldn't. All I felt was the pain I thought would go away. Maybe it's because I didn't really lose him.

I laughed. Ha ha. Of course I lost him, isn't that why I was here and not there?

Maybe he doesn't actually like me. That probably explains why he seems to be handling this all so well.

Yeah, that's it. He just kissed me back because I kissed him. He didn't want to hurt my feelings. Right. Oh.. shit, no. That made me feel even worse. I still had a piece of my heart that hoped and freaking hoped he would forgive me. That piece wanted him back. But he wasn't exactly mind to keep in the first place.

Officer Keyes saw us to the door of the station. He had promised he would set me free. I hadn't met anyone that trusting or caring in a long time. That last time I met someone like that they saved my life (Robbie)
so I guess it's been a long time. I wanted him to save me again from this hell I'm living in.

My phone rang, the sound invading my thoughts. I looked down to see Tyler's picture and debated on whether I should pick up. If I did, that would entitle me to say goodbye, and I didn't want to do that just yet. I wanted to keep that door open. Our fate was written in the stars, and if it ended badly or if it didn't, that was all up to the stars. For a moment, I considered picking up just to see what he had to say, but I was sure it wasn't anything new. Unfortunately, my mum was no longer alive to help me with my love life, so I was on my own in the real world. How could something so beautiful as my family turn into something so evil? Looks really can be deceiving.

I layed myself down on the bed and thought of Tyler, who was, presumably, doing the same thing.

No. Stop!

"I'm only making this harder on myself." I grumbled, speaking to the walls. "At least he had the balls to call." I glanced at my phone, contemplating. I could call and hear his last words of I could not call and have this unfinished business and when I die I'll be a ghost stuck on Earth because I never called Tyler Oakley back. Casper, bitch!