Chapter 18 - AHS Theme

"We moved here for a reason; to start over! We didn't really have to, but mum insisted that we needed a change of scenery. Now, don't go and tell me that the fucker moved them somewhere else!" I shouted to no one in particular.

I faced the window. That little-

I had to remain cool. "Don't lose your cool." I mumbled.

"Or your mind." Rob added in.

I looked my friend in the eye. "I think we're getting there."

"All right. You got that riddle, then?" Rob got down to business.

I nodded and pulled out the note. The weathered note. It had clearly been there for a while, on the tombstone. At least that tells me that Tyde was working alone.

"What the hell is this rubbish?" Rob asked, looking at the overall piece of paper.

"Yes, I know. It's not a fresh clue, Rob, get over it!" I snapped. I apologized promptly afterwards.

"It lives without a body, so clearly not a person." He said.

"Huh." I said, using a wise-ass tone.

"Um, hears without ears." He stumbled over those words, then skipped that part all together. "Speaks without a mouth, it communicates with you in some way. To which air alone gives birth? The air is producing something, then, I guess. Since it can hear but does not have any ears- yeah, hold on." He spoke, trying to solve the puzzle.

"No body, ears, or mouth, but it lives, hears, and speaks through the air..." He paused. "What does that?" Suddenly, it hit him. "Aha! I've got it!" His voice echoed.

"What? What is it?!" I shouted. My voice also reverberated off the walls.

Robbie winked. "An echo."

An echo, huh? What does an echo have to do with my predicament? Why would this be important? What was he planning?

Robbie was already on it, searching through Tyde's Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. Nothing.

"Try searching Tyde - Echo, or something with the word psycho-maniac killer." I said sarcastically.

But, knowing we needed a lead, Robbie Googled it anyway.

Believe it or not, that search worked. The first link said, "Tyde Remington - Short Film Winner for the Canadian Film Festival - Echo House."

"C'mon Ty, this is all too easy." I said aloud, as if he were with us.

Gosh, he said this was supposed to be hard. Maybe he meant it was supposed to be hard to find them. Whatever the case, we clicked on the link. It was in the horror genre.

The film went as follows:

"Kevin? Kevin, where'd you go?" A young man called out. He was alone. A few minutes before, his older brother, Kevin, was with him, but now he was missing. Just like that, Ryan's brother disappeared into the darkness. All the boy had was a flashlight, nothing else. They'd also brought their dog, Tobias, with them but he ran off at the first little noise.

Something about this house gave Ryan the chills. For two reasons:

1) The house was freezing, as it was abandoned.

The dark enveloped the boy and he was afraid of what was in it. And,

2) They said it was haunted, the house.

The people in town, a small town in Georgia, called it Echo House. It was pretty simple to figure out why. As Ryan called out to his brother a third time, he heard his words float through the corridors and rooms. Every single one.