A Month To Live (28)

‘I was originally planning to take you to the place you still don’t know about,’ Bradley told me as we made our way to detention later that afternoon.

‘And why do I sense a “but” at the end of that sentence?’ I asked, narrowing my eyes up at him.

‘These detentions are so damn long we don’t get out until five,’ he frowned.

‘So... what’s your point?’ I asked. We reach the detention room and Bradley pushed open the door and held it for me.

‘Well I don’t know what to do instead,’ he shrugged.

‘If you just told me what the plans were for the rest of the week it would be so much easier,’ I pointed out with a huff. 'Ah man, we're early!' I added, glancing around and not seeing the teacher yet.

‘If I told you the plans then it'd ruin the surprise!'

‘Why don’t you just tell me the plans for this week and I promise I won’t ask about next week at all,’ I suggested.

‘...No that’s not a very good deal at all,’ he laughed as we took our seats near the back. I hoped Bradley's horrible teacher wasn't going to be the one supervising us this time. She had a habit of glaring at us across the room and making snide comments.

‘Ugh, you’re so difficult. What were you planning to do tomorrow?’ I asked. ‘Whatever that is we could do today.'

‘Can’t be telling you that now, can I?’ he said, mischeviously. ‘My aunt is coming up on Saturday night but we'll still have the whole day free. I'll move tonight's plans to then. I could also rope some of the others into it if they're around. It's not paintballing,' he laughed, caching the panic on my face.

'So what shall we do tonight instead?'

'Not sure. I didn't have plans for every day - I mean there's only so much to do around here,' he shrugged. 'We could just hang out at mine?'

‘Yeah,’ I said. ‘I’m still pretty tired from that shopping yesterday anyway,’ I added.

‘You made me drag the cart around and put everything away!' he exclaimed just as one of the history teachers came in and asked for silence.

‘Lines,’ he said bluntly.

Bradley and I shared a look before getting out our pens.

*   *   *

‘You know you want to stop at Shake-A-Day,’ I said to Bradley in a pleading voice as I spotted the sign in the distance.

‘What makes you think that?’ he asked, raising an eyebrow at me before turning back to the road.

‘Because you really want to have a chocolate milkshake with cream and sprinkles,’ I pointed out.

‘I prefer strawberry.'

‘Fine, you know you want a strawberry milkshake with gooey strawberry sauce and cute little pink sprinkles,' I smiled. 'I'll even buy you a little pink bow for your hair to match,' I added sweetly.

‘That does sound appealing,’ he said sarcastically.

‘Please, Bradley,’ I replied, laughing slightly.

‘Fine,’ he said with a sigh.

I reached over and pinched his cheek annoyingly. He hated whenever I did that.

‘Don’t act like you don’t want one,’ I teased. ‘I haven’t been to a Shake-A-Day in forever...'

'Yeah, I either have a ton of milkshakes in one month or ignore the place for an entire year,' he mused. 'There's no in between for some reason.'