8. Betrayal

His face quickly filled with guilt and pain.

"You knew! You all knew didn't you!" I looked around the crowd to see them all holding their heads low. When my eyes found Alex's she quickly dropped her eyes to the ground, not daring to meet my heated gaze.

I started to wipe the newly formed tears from my eyes but they kept coming like a stream. It was no use. I snapped my eyes back up to meet Titus's. "How long have you known?" I asked, keeping my voice small.

He took a hesitant step towards me. "Brinn-"

"No!" I shout, taking a step back. "How long have you known?!" I snapped as anger now boiled inside of me.

He sighed in defeat. "Since you were ten."

I balled my hands into fists. He knew this whole time and never said anything. I gave him pity for thinking he just hadn't found his mate. When I was here the whole time. "You're all liars!" I yelled.

The next thing I knew, I was taking off into the forest. Their shouts were heard off in the distance. Begging me to come back, but I just needed to be alone. So I ran, ran away from my problems and the harsh reality of it all. I had this urge to turn around and run right into Titus's arms, but I pushed that urge aside and began running faster.

When I couldn't run anymore I sank down into the cold snow. Bringing my hands to my face, I let out a heavy sob.

What was wrong with me? My mind was completely discombobulated. I was in a rush of emotions. This wasn't me. I didn't like this feeling at all, it made me feel weak.

I went to stand up when my right leg popped out of place. I fell to the ground and let out a bloodcurdling scream.

The shift!

I was terrified. No one should have to go through this alone. No one.

My arm followed suit with my leg. The pain was so excruciating that my vision began to get blurry. I needed to be strong. I took a deep breath and waited for the next swoop of pain to rain in.

***

Titus

Watching Brinn fall apart right before my eyes hurt me. I always wanted to tell her. I'd come so close to telling her so many times but in the end, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I watched her grow up into a beautiful young she-wolf. The whole time all I wanted to do was claim her and make her mine. I had to fight my wolf on several occasions.

The past couple of years have been hell for me. Knowing who your mate was and not being able to be with them was hard, and only got worst as time went on. I vowed to visit her pack once a month to keep an eye on my little mate. When I couldn't physically be with her I would call her parents to check on her. I knew they were annoyed with me but I couldn't help it.

She saw me as an older brother and that hurt me. I wanted her to feel the connection. I left so many hints hoping one day she would catch on, but she was so oblivious to the truth. She was pure and innocent and I wanted to protect her, but instead I hurt her.

I looked around at all of the pack members. They all shot looks of pity my way, but I hated it. I just wanted my mate.

The whole pack knew Brinn as their future Luna but I ordered them all to not speak of it to her. If anyone dared to disobey me there would be consequences. They all loved her, not just because she was their Luna, but because they fell in love with her personality over the years. She won their respect years ago and didn't even know it.

Everyone's eyes went wide with fear as a blood-curdling scream coming from the woods.

Brinn!

I took off into the woods in search for Brinn. When I get toward the middle of the woods I stopped in my tracks. There she laid on the ground with her hands and knees digging into the white snow. I ran beside her and place my hand on her back.

She growled back at me. "Don't touch me!"I had to calm my wolf. Although we loved our mate we would not tolerate disrespect from anyone.

I took a deep breath. "Brinn if you don't let me help you you're going to be in excruciating pain." Swallowing her pride she looked me in the eye then nodded.

I stayed by her side the entire shift. Consistently rubbing her back and whispering encouraging words into her ear. When she was finally in her full wolf form I stared at her with awe, she was beautiful. She had light brown fur with white ears. But the one thing that stood out was her stormy grey eyes.

She ran towards the small pond and stared at her reflection. While she was admiring her wolf I took the time to change out of my clothes and shift into my wolf. I shook out my grey fur and walked towards her. When I was side by side with her I towered over her small but strong wolf.

In a split second, all of her anger towards me surged out and she sank her canines into my hind leg. I let out a devilish growl, making her take a few steps back. She laid on her stomach and lowered her head, quickly submitting.

I grabbed her by the scruff of her neck and ran further into the forest. She tried to get out of my grip but after a while, she eventually gave up the fight. When I was satisfied with where we were, I placed her on the ground. She shook out her fur then laid back on her stomach staring up at me inquisitively.

I nudged her shoulder with my nose, demanding she roll over on her back. She got the message and rolled over. I placed my nose along her stomach, rubbing my scent into her. As soon as I started sniffing between her legs she rolled over and growled at me.

My wolf had had enough. Before I could stop him, he plunged my canines into her neck, claiming her. She struggled at first but eventually, the sensation took over and she purred in satisfaction.

Our wolfs were now bonded as one. Only in wolf form...for now. When I released her I nudge her again to roll over. She did what I told her, not daring to challenge me again. I went to sniff in between her legs for the second time. Making sure her virtue was still intact.

When we didn't find any trace of another male we purred in satisfaction. I nodded my head in the direction of the pond, telling her to follow me. We both took off into the woods.

We reached the pond and shifted back. I threw on my sweats, then turned around to face Brinn. She looked lost.

I tossed her my shirt, not taking my eyes of hers. She put the shirt on the glared at me. "You marked me!" She yelled, venom laced in her voice.

"You continued to challenge my wolf." I said unfazed.

She lets out a huff of breath then crossed her arms over her chest. Grabbing her hand, I pull her towards our house. I knew she was mad and part of me felt bad for marking her without her consent but my wolf acted on impulse. Not liking her lack of respect toward him, he marked her.

When we entered the house all the lights are off. We walk up the stairs in silence until we reach the hallway. I went to enter my room when she stopped in her tracks. "I think I should sleep in my room."

"No Brinnley. You will be sleeping with me tonight, in 'our' room." I narrowed my eyes at her, daring her to challenge me again. She only allowed me to call her by her full name. But by the look she was giving me I could tell she was furious.

She sighed then walked into the room, making sure to bump my shoulder on the way in. She climbed onto the bed then laid on her side, facing away from me. Today had been a long day and I was sure all she wanted to do was sleep.

I knew she would continue to challenge me in the future. That was just how she was. She always had to be in control of a situation. I didn't want her to hate me but I also couldn't let her defy me. I let it pass in the past, but now it was time for her to be knocked down a few pegs.

I slipped out of my sweats then climbed in behind her. I pulled the blankets over us. The space between us becoming too much to bare I pulled her to my chest. Even though she was upset she let me have my way. Tomorrow was going to be a very interesting day.

***

Don't forget to comment, vote, and share! 💙

Song:
Until we go down~ Ruelle