Chapter 1: Who are you?

Three weeks ago, you could have found me around my desk studying for an exam that was at least two weeks away or planning for a project that wasn't due for another month, but not today.

Today, I lay in bed, looking at the dancing shadows created by the already rising sun. It's half past six and I am just about ready give up.

I lay there for another hour or so, thinking, praying, or just falling in and out of sleep.

I am startled by the closing of the front door. My father, Paul Marx who is an esteemed cytologist has officially begun his day.

In the kitchen, which is located next to my room, I can hear my mother, Ellie Marx, a high school biology teacher, rummaging around for breakfast items in the fridge.

This would normally be my cue to make an appearance. I would kiss her on the cheek, answer her usual questions about my studies, and play the perfect daughter.

Today will be different, I thought; however, the smell of my favorite chocolate chip pancakes is enough to delay my rebellion.

Upon opening my door, I am greeted by the scents of fluffy pancakes and coffee.

"Good morning Panda," she says cheerfully as she heads outside with her cup and plate in hand.

As long as I can remember, we have never eaten inside the living room. We always go outside on the patio to enjoy nature, and if it rains, we would just sit around the island in the kitchen.

"Good morning mom," I say in a less enthusiastic voice.

As I take my regular place around the table, I can feel her eyes following my every move. Part of me wishes that she would just come out and ask. I am confident that she knows that this is not the same Panda that stood before her three weeks ago.

However, my changes seem to go unnoticed by her as she states, "Darling, you look tired, how is the studying going?"

With a forced smile I reply, "Oh, it is going well mom."

She nods as she takes a sip of her coffee.

I have always looked up to my mother -she was the valedictorian of my high school, who was awarded a scholarship to study in England. There she met my dad, who was at the time in med school. I was told that they fell in love by dancing, and when she graduated he followed her and got a job at the local hospital here. They were married by fall and blessed with me the following summer.

After breakfast, I headed for the bathroom to get ready. I was taking my own sweet time when I heard a familiar yet unsettled voice conversing with my mother.

I turned down my music and slightly cracked the door so that I could confirm my thoughts. I was right; the lovely Lane Stewart was here. I added a little pep to my step, making sure to not keep the princess waiting, and then made my way to my room to finish my routine.

"Good morning Pan," said Lane. She was standing next to my desk peering through the window in a not so graceful way.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I tried to get myself dressed.

"You know what I am doing," she curtly replied.

Lane Stewart was a tall slender girl with milk chocolate skin, Asian eyes, and long dark wavy hair. Her father, Jeremiah Stewart was basically the mayor of the town and her mother, Lily Stewart, who was a former classical musician, now plays housewife and mother. Her older brother Jared is currently a sophomore in college, but he was the star athlete at our high school.

Lane has always been a force to be reckoned with. With her father's background, she never understood the words "no, declined, or B+" unless she was the one using them.

"They are not there. They left last night," I stated.

"Really?? How come they get to leave early?" She asked with a pout on her perfectly shaped faced. She always looked like a blind rabbit when she did that.

"Why are you here?" I asked with a smile.

"Ughh, I have been calling you all morning," she said as she dug through her purse for something.

A few seconds later, she produced her phone and showed me a tweet that stated:

"Congratulations Cade White for making it into the annual summer dance program."

I looked at the text, then back at her with a puzzled yet annoyed look.

To which she replied, "Cade got into the dance program and we have to hear about it from the school?"

Now I got it, somebody was jealous, but I dared not say that aloud.

Cade was the third addition to our little group. He was dancing before he could walk, or so I was told. He was an excellent dancer, who wrote on the side, and the fact that he had red hair like his mother only added to his charm. His mother, Vi White is an Irish red head who trains horses at our local ranch. His father, Jude White is an African American actor/writer.

"Maybe he wanted to surprise us or maybe he hasn't even checked his mail yet," I offered. "You don't have to be a baby about the situation Lane."

"What's the point of making a person your best friend if you have to hear about their success from a social network?" she asked with her hands on her hips.

Lane was always dramatic, the princess of our little pod.

"Girls, I am leaving now. Panda please make sure that you turn on the alarm before you leave," shouted my mother.

"Yes mom, see you there," I replied.

"Ohh, can you believe it? The last day of school, we are officially seniors," announced Lane.

"Don't rush the process. We technically have to get through the summer first."

I rolled my eyes as she ignored my remark and continued to get ready.

By the time we got to school, it was already 9:30-students came in an hour later than usual on the last week of school to allow the teachers to recover from the upheaval of graduation. As we pulled up, our fourth and final addition Nash Wyatt was leaning on his bike talking to Cindy Myers, the head cheerleader.

"Seriously, of all the people to talk to, he chooses her," stated Lane in an annoyed tone.

"Maybe she is just saying hi," I offered.

"Seriously Panda, how thick can you be? No one just says hi to Nash, especially Cindy."

I could tell she was getting annoyed with my naïve nature, and I must admit that she was right.

Nash took the place of Jared Stewart as star athlete-he was probably even better. He was a tall built guy with tanned Asian features. Nash was involved in track and field, football, cricket, and basketball. If he wasn't captain, he was co-captain. His father, David Wyatt was chief at the police station and his mother, Sage Wyatt was the best baker and dressmaker in town.

We were an odd fit the four of us. A natural beauty/nerd, a jock, an arty intellectual and me...I do not know who I was.

I thought I did- Panda Marx, a short dark girl with short kinky hair. My mother decided to name me Panda after watching a wildlife documentary by a NaJai S. Apparently, she went Panda crazed after a particular episode, so voila. I was quiet for the most part, and I spent most of my time with my head stuck in a book of some sort. I was not naturally smart like Lane, as I worked hard for my A's, neither was I athletic like Nash and Cade. They were great at things, while I always struggled to keep up.

Lane chose to spend her free time at the ranch with Cade's mom and the horses. Nash was usually at the dance studio in town and as for Cade...anything could be made into a sport. For me, I chose to observe and I know that this was my fault. Three weeks ago, I realized that I would never be the perfect academic daughter that my parents hoped for. I also realized that I did not know who Panda Marx was, but this summer, I intend to find out.

Do you want to know more about Panda and her story?