Chapter 8: The Packet

Chapter 8

The get together was a big turnout. It started about two hours ago and I made sure to avoid Ruthie until the last moment- when she looked like she was about to leave.

"Ruthie, hey, are you leaving?"

"Oh, no darling, I was just going inside for one of your aunt's delicious cupcakes, but I have been looking for you."

I felt my heart start to race. Why was I so nervous? So what if they didn't like my story, I could do one of Justine's ideas.

"Ok," I replied, "Here I am."

"Oh not now hun, I really want a cupcake first," she said as she turned towards the house.

Really?? I thought. She was doing this purposely. There were cupcakes available on the porch and she has been here since the party began.

"Hey, what's up? Did Ruthie tell you anything?"

I turned to see Justine with a chocolate cupcake, and oh how I tried my best not to smack it out of her hand.

"No, she wants a cupcake," I sighed.

Justine almost chocked on her first bite. "What do you mean she wants a cupcake?" she asked, still giggling.

"I mean, she said she was looking for me, but she wanted a cupcake, so she went to go get herself a cupcake."

She noticed me eyeing the cupcake in her hand, and said, "Okay child, calm down. Don't take it out on a cupcake." She took the final bite and continued, "How about I get you a lemon drop cupcake?"

"Seriously Justine?" I asked, giving her a warning look.

"Okay...vanilla cream cookie?" she offered. She was trying hard to hold a straight face.

"Okay girls, what's going on?" asked Ruthie, with an extra lemon drop cupcake in hand.

"Oh, not a thing, not a thing," replied Justine with a smirk.

Ruthie handed me the cupcake which I miserably accepted.

"Now why do you look like a sour puss?" asked Ruthie as she made her way pass us.

"It's just that...never mind."

"Okay, follow me...both of you," she ordered.

We followed her out of the crowd towards the street to her car. She drove a sky blue 2010 Toyota Prius. I never really imagined Ruthie driving as I always saw her walking in town with or without her puppy. But then again, I never imagined her with hair down, and here she was, with a burgundy felt hat and a golden rose in her hair instead of her infamous headwrap.

She opened the back passenger door and took a small brown packet from off the seat and handed it to me.

"Open that and discuss it with your aunt and mother. If you disagree, come see me tomorrow and we'll talk about it. If you agree with everything, just follow the instructions," said Ruthie as she got into the driver's seat.

I looked from the packet to her, then back to the packet again. "I...I don't understand. What is this?" I was so confused.

"When you open it you will find out, but make sure your parents or aunt knows about it, regardless of what you decide. Now, I have a date with a redhead and a Cuban, take care girls."

With that, she drove off, disappearing down the road.

**

"So this lady just gave this to you?" asked my mother.

I had been too excited and nervous to not do this right away so as soon as we got home, I called my mother on skype. Justine and I were perched on the edge of my bed, while my aunt sat in the arm chair rubbing her stomach.

"No mom, she didn't just give it to me. She is a friend of Aunt Josie. She read some of my work and brought some samples to the local newspaper," I explained.

"Okay, so what is in the packet?" she asked.

"I don't know, I wanted to open it with you guys. Where is daddy?" I just realized that he wasn't in the frame, nor did I hear him moving about.

"Oh, he has an early start tomorrow so he turned in early. I'll update him later." She replied as she yawned.

"Okay, do you want me to do this later then?" I asked sheepishly.

"Oh, give it to me you big scardy cat," said Justine as she dragged the packet from my hand. This is something that Lane would do, but for some strange reason, I didn't feel hurt when Justine did it, only relief.

She opened the packet and pulled out a letter, which read:

                            Dear Ms. Marx,

                                                          It was a pleasure to have read your work. My friend, Ruth Keller                               believes that you have a gift worth sharing and I agree. I would like to meet with you to                    discuss the possibilities of you writing a column for us and our sister paper in your                             local town. You will be paid based on a part-time salary by each paper should you                               choose to accept our offer. We look forward to meeting you and discussing your ideas                       on June 27th at 10:00am.

                              Sincerely,

                               Tina Henderson

I heard Justine's voice and I heard her finish. I also heard my mom congratulating me and felt Justine's arms around me. I even heard my aunt saying something about celebrating and my uncle clapping, but I could not comprehend what was going on.

"So, they like my work?" I asked slowly.

"Like it? It's obvious that they love it. They want you to work not only one but for both of them and with pay. You didn't even have to ask. OMG, I am so happy for you," screamed Justine.

My mother and aunt were now in their own little world talking about who should come with me to the meeting.

"Are you excited kiddo?" asked my uncle, leaning on my bed post. He was the only calm looking one in the room.

"I don't know to be honest. I mean, I'm nervous. I didn't expect it to happen," I said.

"Did you want it to happen?" asked my aunt.

"Yes...I really did. I mean I do," I sighed, "I like writing, I don't have to put much thought into it, I just do what feels natural, but I didn't expect all of this out of it," I replied as I curled my feet towards me.

"Well believe it baby, this is yours...your very own, and if they don't like your ideas, there is always the blog. As long as you are happy and it's in the Lord's will...it will work," said Justine as she gave me another tight hug.

"Yeah, you are right. I really need to stop worrying. All this worrying, is starting to worry me," I said with a slight smile.

"I know, let's go on that date with the redhead and the Cuban," offered Justine cheerfully.

"Really? You watch I love Lucy?" I asked.

"Don't play dumb Panda, I'll slap you," she said as she marched out of my room towards the living room.