Chapter 21: A Mini Holiday

Chapter 21

When I woke up, I noticed a figure standing next to the window. Though the sun was rising, the room was still a bite dark, but I was sure that someone was there. I looked at my phone and saw that it was minutes to 6:00.

Suddenly, my mother's voice about the carpet cleaners began to ring in my ears. I checked my notifications and then sent her an update.

When I looked up, the sun was more visible and Nash was looking at me-he had been crying.

I wasn't used to a crying Nash. All my memories of him crying centered on the normal childish accidents that happened at playgrounds.

He could sense my uneasiness, "Good morning, I didn't mean to wake you," he whispered.

"Good morning. You didn't...I'm used to getting up at this hour from Aunty Josie's."

"I don't want to wake them, do you want to go to the cafeteria and get something for everyone?" he asked.

I nodded.

We quietly made our way out of the cubicle and headed towards the elevator.

We took a seat by the window while sipping on the warm beverages-mint hot chocolate for me and black tea for him.

"How are you?" I eventually asked.

He took a moment to answer, "relieved that it's now in the open, but drained from the whole experience."

I understood what he meant, yet I didn't know how to reply. I gave him a small smile, to which he responded, "I'm happy that you guys came, I always feel at home when I'm with you."

I did not know how to respond. Was that a singular "you"?

Who cares...as long as he was happy.

"I'm happy that we came too,"

He chuckled and said, "We should head back; I don't want to worry Mrs. White."

With that, we stood up and made our way towards the elevator.

**

"What do you have in here?" asked Justine.

"The usual," replied Lane

"Which is??" argued Justine.

"A girl has to be prepared," stated Lane authoritatively.

"Justine, you know how Lane can be, I'll help," I said while grabbing Lane's other two bags.

We had spent the past two weeks going back and forth to the hospital. Lane had spent the last week at my house in order to save on gas, and only went over the bridge twice for her riding sessions.

I had spent my time writing in the waiting room or at home, only going into the office when I was needed.

Cade tried to distract Nash as much as possible, but soon decided it was futile, so he spent majority of his time taking pictures and vlogging the days' events.

However, it wasn't before long that the adults decided that we all needed a break, especially since school was starting soon. Thus, when Mrs. Wyatt was released from the hospital, two days later we all packed up and went on our own trips.

Mrs. Stewart and some of Nash's family stayed back to be of help to Mr. and Mrs. Wyatt, while Cade, Nash, Jared, Mr. Stewart, my dad, and Mr. Cade went camping on a nearby key over the bridge.

As for the girls, Lane, my mom, and I took Justine to New York to view her apartment and to get her acquainted with the community.

Aunt Josie was still on bed rest, thus the responsibility was left to my mother.