Chapter 5 :Begin

Chapter 5

My question was quickly answered as Uncle Mark had more in mind than seeing a colt. For the next few weeks, I would spend my mornings helping out on Mr. Bill's ranch, my late mornings to early evenings at the bakery with my aunt, and the rest of the days to myself.

After a while, I came to like my routine. Mr. Bill gave me riding lessons for free if I finished my chores early enough, which was most of the times and Aunt Josie would give Justine and I baking lessons a few times per week after closing. Usually, if the product was good enough, we would drop it off by the nursing home, which had a beautiful garden that Justine would explore, or I would take it to Mr. Bill's ranch the next morning.

One day, as I was mending the cash register at the bakery, my phone made a buzz- it was Nash.

I had decided that I needed a break from them for a few hours, but hours turned into days and days turned into weeks. It seemed weird for me to respond to the groups messages now and even more awkward to reply to the personal texts. Even Lane had tried reaching out to me once or twice, but I just could not bring myself to answer.

"Panda, this is the third time in 20 minutes that you phone has gone off. You know you can take a break, I'm pretty sure mom wouldn't mind," said Justine as she brought out a fresh batch of lemon cupcakes to add to the display.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just the guys checking in," I said. I placed my chin in my hands and kept my focus on a lady feeding her pup across the street.

"You know, you can always talk to me," she offered.

"Oh, I know."

She continued to place the cupcakes in the display, while I continued to watch the lady.

When it was time for our lunch, Justine went to the mall to meet up with some friends. For the past two weeks she had invited me to join, and each time she did, I declined. I preferred to spend my time at the library, curled up in a corner with a good book or around the computer searching for path to follow.

Uncle Mark had suggested Veterinary school, but I had found anatomy gross and physiology boring.

I was good at art, but that didn't pay well enough. Math was always a struggle, and I found it annoying to become a teacher- don't get me wrong, I have nothing against teachers, but being a teacher's kid has opened my eyes to certain things; things that I  have decided that I can live without.

**

"Every time I see you, your head is in a book."

I looked up to see the elderly lady from across the street.

"Well every time I see you, you are tending to your dog."

She smiled. "You are Josie's niece is that right?"

I nodded.

"Why aren't you at the mall with your cousin? A growing girl like you needs not be in a library with her nose in a book all day."

"Reading offers me something that real life can't," I replied as I played with the leaves of the book.

"And what is that my dear?" she was sitting now.

"Adventure." I said sitting up.

She took a moment, and then replied, "Well, why not make your own rather than reading about them?"

"I am a 16 year old without a car, stuck in a small town. What adventure can I make out of that?"

She laughed, "Well, if you were really hungry enough for one, I'm pretty sure you would have found it. Now, walk with me dear."

Was she serious? Nevertheless, I placed the book back on the shelf, not before marking my page, and followed her.

She was an inquisitive one. Apparently, she had heard rumors about why I was here. Some said I was in trouble with the law, some said I was hiding out- no normal teenage girl prefers to spend her time alone- I must be hurt or I did the hurting. I must admit, some of what was said may have been true.

On our walk around the town, I found it easy to talk to her. I told her about Lane, Nash, and Cade. I told her about the night before I left and the failures I made. She was a great listener and a wonderful talker.

Her name was Ruth Keller-she had no husband and no children. She ran an antique shop and spent her free times reading or writing and tending to her dog- a Yorkshire terrier named Coco.

As she opened the door to her store and placed her belongings on a chair by the cash register, she said "We all feel like failures at one time or another and we all make mistakes. I am pretty sure your friends still love you, and parents' love are unconditional. They are proud of you, trust me." She seemed so sure.

"How do you know?"

"Oh, darling, I know. Now, look through the store, and pick one thing...anything."

"I don't have any money on me right now Ms. Ruth."

"Oh please, call me Ruthie, and just pick something."

For an antique store, it had an almost pleasant scent of warm cinnamon and wood. As I was walking around, I was drawn to this old leather bound journal. The pages were soft and delicate. It had two metal clasps with a corset looking cover. I looked over at her, looking for some sort of approval, but she had disappeared behind the curtain.

I kept looking, but came back to the journal. I took it up, and ran my fingers over the pages once again, then walked up to the counter.

"Ruthie, I think I like this."

"Oh, let me see," she said as she reappeared from the hidden room. "Ah, good choice my dear; I think it suits you, and now you can make your own adventures."

She came from around the counter and walked to the back of the store. "At times," she continued, "it's good to write things down, and if your mind is going too fast for your hands just talk. God always listens, doesn't matter if we write it or talk it. But, if you want to remember it, and wish to trace your journey, you should definitely write it down."

She came back with a small box and opened it to reveal three golden fountain pens.

"These are gorgeous," I gasped. They looked as if they belonged to someone from the royal family.

"These are yours," she replied.

"Ruthie, I can't."

"Ah, but you must," she smiled.

I ran my fingers over them-they were cold and smooth.

"Here," she said.

"Thank you, Ruthie...I do not know how to repay you."

She placed her hands on my shoulders, "You just write. Talk to God and write and stop selling yourself short."

I smiled and hugged her.

"Now, it's getting late. Just tell Josie you were with me."

I nodded. She placed my gifts in a purple paper bag and handed it to me. I thanked her once again and made my way back to the bakery, unaware of the events that were about to unfold before me.

˖S