Chapter 7: Be Proactive

Chapter 7

Today was the busiest Friday that I experienced since school. Justine and I had spent the entire day loading and unloading food and other party condiments from Uncle's van.

"Seriously, how much people are they planning to feed?" asked Justine, carrying her mother's third double layered dark chocolate cake.

"I don't know," I replied, carrying my second of five pots of mannish water.

"You know Panda, that was what you would called...eh-umm rhetorical question."

"Huh...what? Oh yh, yh," I sighed, "I get you, I'm sorry. My mind has been all over the place."

"Yes, I can see that." She placed the cake gently on the wooden table inside the dining room.

"You wanna tell me what's up? or is it like a secret mission thing?"

I laughed at her and rolled my eyes. "Whatever Justine. It's just that today is when Ruthie would tell me if the paper would print a few of my pieces or not."

"Oh yh, I heard mom talking to dad about that. You go girl, a big time writer in the fam," she said, nudging my arm.

"Look, don't get too excited, I haven't heard a reply yet."

"Well if they decline, you try your newspaper back home, and if they decline too, then you send it somewhere else or start a blog," she was sprinkling powdered sugar onto the cakes and a few batches of cookies.

"That's a key thing to remember on the path to success Panda. When one door closes, you either keep knocking or go knock on another. Sitting there feeling sorry for yourself gives you depression and wrinkles."

I sighed as I placed a stack of napkins in random spots between the desserts.

"You need to stop worrying Pan," she said, placing her arms around me.

Everybody kept saying that. I thought I had...I was just looking at both sides of the scenario and preparing myself for the worst case.

As if reading my mind she said, "Look Pan, take my advice...I am trying to keep wrinkles from moving in on you face for as a long as possible."

She looked at me intently and continued, "Look at the positives: yes, you have to think about the-suppose I fail scenario- but you trust God and plan accordingly for things to work out. If they don't, you nurse your wounds, brush yourself off, and wait for the next opportunity."

"Easier said than done Justine."

"No it's not. It's a mental choice- you find the silver lining in E-VE-RY thing or you focus on the negatives, get depressed, start to lean on drinking, and well... die."

"Really Justine?" We were bringing in the last batch of cupcakes before heading back home to get dressed.

"Really Panda...I'm just looking at the worst case scenario," she said as peered out her eyes at me.

I smiled..."I guess you're right."

"Mhhmmm, tell you what...we will start planning for the best case and worst case scenario."

"Okay...where are you going with this?" I asked curiously.

"Well," she said as she closed the trunk, "You are pretty serious about this writing thing right?"

"I guess."

She gave a heavy sigh as she pulled out of the drive way.

"Yes Justine, I'm serious about this writing thing."

"Good girl. Now, I suggest that regardless of whatever you hear tonight from Ruthie that you continue to push your writing."

"Okay, well, I write in my journal couple times a day and I rented books about writing."

"Good, good, but I suggest you do more, be proactive."

She glanced over and saw my expression- which was more of a: I'm dumb; you gotta spell it out for me expression.

"By proactive, I mean starting a blog, or join the journalism club, or even apply to write for both newspapers."

I could tell she was proud of herself.

"I'll think about it," I replied, looking out the window as we turned onto her street.

"You do that, and I'll help you as much as I can...anything you need you tell me baby cuz."