Chapter 16: Surprise

Chapter 16

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Panda, happy birthday to you," sang my aunt, uncle, Justine and the rest of the workers.

As I blew out my candles, I couldn't help but feel thankful for the summer I have had. I must admit that I thought that things were going downhill and that I was a failure, but coming here and meeting Ruthie have changed so much within me and as I thank God for allowing me to see 17 years, I also thank Him for my growth over the past few months.

"I am going to miss having you here Panda," says my aunt as she embraces me for what seems like the hundredth time since today.

"I am going to miss you too, all of you," I reply softly.

"You promise to update me as much as possible, even if it's through instagram?" asked Justine.

"I'll try my best." I have never had a special bond with my cousin, I mean, we were friends before this summer, but in a way she has inspired me- she was always encouraging me and dreaming for me. I will miss her when I go, especially since she will be going to New York for college this fall.

As my aunt shared the cake, everyone took their time to greet me and wish me all the best with school and my writing, which I am grateful for.

After everyone had said their piece and all the food had been shared out, we all say our goodbyes and head home.

"Just take home what you can, the guys will clean up tomorrow, you have been on your feet all day Josie," says Uncle Mark sternly.

"But Mark, you know I can't stand a dirty kitchen..."

"Would you rather a dirty kitchen for a few hours or bed rest for a few weeks?"

Justine and I chuckled at this, for we all know what the answer will be.

Aunt Ellie replied by sighing and walking towards the van.

"Now I didn't say you should leave everything behind. You even left your purse."

"Would you prefer I silently comply with you in my own way or a whole night of grumbling?" Asked Aunt Josie as Uncle Mark motions to us to bring out her belongings while he locked up.

**

By 7:00am the next morning, we are all settled in the car for my journey back home. Oh how I have missed my bedroom and my parents. However, I am nervous about seeing my friends again, especially Nash since our last meeting and not to mention Lane as she has yet to reply to any of my messages.

The ride was a quiet one, but not as bad as it was the first time around. I am pretty sure we all slept most of the way, leaving Uncle Mark alone with his thoughts. The farther Aunt Josie got in her pregnancy, the more naps she took, and as for Justine and I, we spent the night virtually decorating her dorm and talking.

When we turned onto the street of my house, I could tell that something was up.

"What's this?" I asked sleepily.

"What do you think?" replied Uncle Mark.

I looked towards Justine who was looking at the amount of cars parked near my house.

"Looks like someone is having a party," announced Justine.

"Well I can see that, but why? My parents haven't thrown me a party since I was nine and it was never held at the house," I replied.

"Well, I wouldn't want a bunch of kids running around my nice furniture either,"

"Okay you two, stop it. Mark just stop at the driveway and we'll unload the car while you go find somewhere else to park," suggested aunt Josie.