Chapter 19: Nash's Secret

Chapter 19

The race was actually fun- we beat the boys two out of three.

"We let you win, we demand a rematch," said Cade as he pulled the Canoe out of the water.

"And I demand my bed," replied Lane.

"Oh yes your highness. Cade I think we should get them home. They look like they are about to die. Imagine if we didn't go easy on them," joked Nash.

"Oh be quiet," I said as I threw a ball of sand towards them.

"Panda Marx, what did you just do?" shouted Cade.

"Ummm, I dunno,"

"Come back here and apolo..."

Just then, Lane threw two more balls of sand, one in which smacked Nash right in face, stuffing in his words.

"That's it, you are both in trouble," said Cade.

We in turn responded by running towards the Jeep.

"I have the keys you know," shouted Nash.

"Yeah, but we can climb," replied Lane.

"In skirts?" shouted Cade.

"Lane, I agree with Cade, Maxi skirts do not go well with trees," I shouted.

As we came towards the van, Nash's phone rang.

"Saved by the bell," shouted Lane.

"Scardy cats," said Cade.

"What??" shouted Nash in a broken voice.

~Cade~

How can such a warm, lovely day turn into nightmare?

One minute we were chasing Lane and Panda, something we haven't done since probably freshman year. We were all happy, and for the first time since today, I was happy to be forced to come here.

"What??" shouted Nash in a broken voice. The phone fell to the ground as he kicked the tires.

I picked up the phone while the girls rushed over to him.

"Hello?" I said.

"Cade,"

"Hey Mr. Wyatt, is everything okay?"

"Don't let Nash drive will you? Take care of him."

With that the phone went dead. I turned around to see a wounded figure in the arms of Panda. I blinked, realizing that this figure was Nash.

Lane looked to me and I relayed the message.

Nash was too absorbed to even realize that I was taking the keys from his pocket.

We all got into the Jeep- Nash and Panda in the back seat and Lane upfront with me. When I got unto the main street, the sobbing had stopped, but when I looked into the rear view mirror, I could tell he was still crying on the inside.

"Can you stop by my house? I need to get my stuff and make sure everything is secure," asked Panda softy.

I didn't realize how quiet it was until she spoke.

"Sure," I replied.

When I pulled into the driveway, Lane offered to go inside with her, "Do you need me to get you anything?" asked Panda.

Nash remained quiet, but I shook my head.

A few minutes later, we were back on the road again. I was about to turn onto the road leading towards Lane's house when Nash said, "No, can you go to the beach?" his voice was still breaking.