Chapter 2: School's Out

The last day of school usually goes by fast. The new seniors (which would be us) would gather in the auditorium to listen to inspirational speakers for about three hours, while the lower classes clean out their lockers and veg in homeroom. After that there would be a one lunch for all, and then the lower classes were allowed to head home while the seniors would have a chance to clean out our lockers and be done with school for a few months.

As we made our way to the auditorium, I heard Nash calling our names. Lane kept on walking, confirming that she was in pouting mode, but I decided to stop.

"Hey, what's up with Lane?" asked Nash as he dug his hands into his pockets.

"What's not up with her," I replied softly.

He then flashed a quick smile and said, "Ah, it is not a normal day if the princess doesn't have her morning pout."

"Would you two hurry up? This day has already begun on the wrong foot and I would like to at least get through part of it in comfortable seats," announced Lane.

"Yes ma'am," mocked Nash, as he straightened up and marched over to her.

**

The assembly was not as bad as we expected. They were speakers who offered summer programs to help us figure out what we wanted to do with our life. Though I found nothing that captured my attention, I could tell that something was said that brought the princess back to her charming self.

Lunch on the other hand slowly crept by.

"I thought they figured this out last year- Seniors in the court yard, Juniors in the cafeteria and Sophomores out on the fields," complained Cindy as she sighed for the hundredth time.

"Yes, but apparently one cannot plan for rain," answered Lane in an annoyed tone.

Cindy was a petit acrobatic gem. She had curly short blonde hair with dark green eyes. She enjoyed dancing almost as much as Cade, but preferred the gymnastics aspects of it all. For some reason, Lane always found her upsetting , while Nash found her adorable.

"So we have a choice," said Nash approaching us, "We can either eat here in the cafeteria or in the gym."

"So why can't we just clean our lockers and go?" asked Cindy.

"The girl has a good point there," agreed Lane.

Nash replied in a shrug and took his place next to Cindy.

When lunch was over, we separated to clean out our lockers. Nash and Lane's lockers were located upstairs, while mines was downstairs towards the entrance of the school. As I got closer to my locker, I noticed a yellow note peeking out, but observed no one who could have placed it there. As I opened it to examine its contents, I realized that it was Cade's handwriting:

            ~Hey Pan,

              Meet me out by the bus loop garden.Thanks, btw- don't tell the others.~

I found it strange that he didn't text me, but hurriedly cleaned out my belongings and made my way out.

Before I could get to the door, I heard someone calling my name.

"Panda, Panda Marx?"

I turned to see my guidance counselor, Mrs. Scott stepping ever so slightly towards me. She was a short woman, who liked to make up for her height by wearing heels that no one in their right mind would consider wearing unless it was just for a picture.