18 - He's Got My Back

"Mia!" 

Holy fuck! 

I close my eyes, putting the papers down slowly, back in the drawer. I turn around, biting my lip. 

I'm done for! Damn it!

I bend my head low, still on my knees. He moves to the edge of the bed, sitting just in front of me. "Did you read them?" Surprisingly, his voice is soft, not angry at all. 

I look up slowly, hesitating at first. 

"She's my little sister." It's the first time I see him near tears. He's always either angry, pissed or even being sarcastic or flirty. But, never like this. 

"I...I'm sorry..." I look back down on the floor, not really knowing what to say at this point. I've just invaded his privacy. This is just very personal. 

He then goes down beside me, picking up all the other papers from the floor and putting them back in the drawer and closing it. I want to hug him and tell him everything's gonna be ok as I watch his torn face. But, I'm not at a position to do that. 

He quietly gets up and leaves the room. My eyes follow him, seeing how low his shoulders are as he exits the door. 

Suddenly, I tear up, remembering Ryan again. All the pain I felt the first time I heard about his death come back. I remember the baby I've lost, too. Could Mark be feeling the same thing? How hurt could he have been when it happened to his sister? He's even still keeping everything from that time. She was raped for crying out loud. Gang raped at that. I can't even start to imagine what she went through. What would those guys have done to even cause her to go in a coma and die? How barbaric did they get?

______

"Nobody else would do it now, Mark!" 

I wake up at shouting from the other side of the wall. I get up from the bed. I don't even remember how I got here. I look out the window and notice it's starting to get darker. 

"She can't go." Mark yells back. 

"She's our runner for fuck's sake." Junior is shouting. "We didn't let her in to be your bitch."

I stand outside the door of the office, quietly listening. Am I the topic of discussion here?

"Exactly!" Mark retaliates. "A runner. Not a hitman."

"Wow." Junior says sarcastically, I can hear him clapping his hands. "Is that really coming from the person who let her do just that the moment she entered the group? Mark. Are you listening to yourself right now?"

Wait a minute.... are they talking about whacking another person? 

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Junior continues. "You know who we're doing this for, Mark. This is the last man. The instigator. He's the one. Just let her do it."

Somebody throws something at the wall and it comes crashing down in pieces. 

"You know her relationship to the guy, Junior. You think she can actually do it?" Mark yells. 

"That's why it makes her more perfect for the job."

Are they just talking about the same guy I'm thinking right now? I lean closer to the door. 

"No!" 

"Let's forget about this bullshit then." There's another glass crashing on the floor. "Is that what you want? Huh, Mark?"

"I'm just saying, we need to get someone else to do it." Mark's voice softens a little. 

"Why? Cause you might lose one bitch to fuck if she flops? She didn't even fuckin' do her delivery this morning." Junior's voice stays loud and high though.