Chapter Nine

AUDREY'S P.O.V.
"Hey! Hey! Hey, get out of here!" i jumped awake as Thomas yelled.
We were all still in the small cave. I had fallen asleep using one of Minho's arms as a pillow and his other was around my waist. I could feel him lift his head and his arm pulling me closer. I pushed myself up thinking something was wrong.
"What's going on?" I asked
"Just a bird" Minho grumbled. He groaned and laid back down pulling me with him.
"Are They Gone?" Newt asked from next to me.
"Yeah," thomas said. "I think we're safe for now. We should get moving. Pack it up."
I heard rustling. Probably everyone getting up.
"Aris, come on, Frypan, Winston, Chuck," thomas called. They were all probably sleeping.
I rolled over and looked at Minho. He had his arm covering his eyes. I put my hand on his arm and shook it. "C'mon babe. Get up."
He groaned but sat up and stretched. A long grunt came from Winston. I looked and saw him attempting to get up.
"Hey man, you okay?" Frypan asked giving him a hand. Winston nodded and rose slowly to his feet. There was no way he was okay. I looked back at Minho. We were both thinking the same thing. Winston wouldn't be okay.
Minho stood up and put his backpack on his shoulders then offered me a hand to stand. He pulled me up easily and I went to pick up my backpack only to find Chuck using it as a pillow. I knelt down.
"Wake up Chuckie." I said giving him a small shake. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Sleep good?" I asked trying to make it seem like we weren't in the situation we were in.
"Yeah," he replied and stood. I gathered my things and stood too.
"Audrey?" Newt's voice came from behind.
""Yeah?" I replied
"Are you worried?" my brother asked "about Winston and Chuck?"
I nodded "Yeah I am." I whispered to him. "Winston is in bad shape and Chuck... He's young, Too young. He shouldn't have to deal with this."
Newt began to respond but Thomas urged us to begin walking.
We climbed over the mountain of rubble. Eventually Minho caught up to us and took my hand.
We continued to climb until we reached a flat concrete area that overlooked an abandoned city. The buildings were crumbling with metal and debris sticking out of the sides. The streets were filled with sand instead of cement. There was wood and pieces of metal and glass littered everywhere.
"What the Hell happened to this place?" Frypan asked.
"I dunno. Doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time." New t responded
"I hope the whole world isn't like this." Chuck said.
Thomas, who was walking beside me and Minho began to slow down. I stopped which caused Minho to stop too. "Thomas? what's wrong?" I asked
"Wait everyone. Stop." He directed. Everyone turned to look at him. "You hear that?"
We all stood silently. I did hear it. A low buzzing coming from our left. It was getting louder by the second. Pretty soon we could make out the whirring of a plane or something like it.
"Get down! Everybody hide, hide!" Thomas yelled
I grabbed Minho quickly and pushed him under a large piece of a building that had fallen off. Newt Teresa and Frypan joined us while the others went under another rock. I held my breathe and Newt's arm as the noise got louder. Soon it was above us. We all looked at the sky and watched two helicopters come into our view with another aircraft that was almost twice the size. They flew over us and continued until they were out of sight.
"They're never gonna stop looking for us, are they?" Minho asked.
"All the more reason to keep going." Thomas said.
We crawled out and began to walk over the fallen buildings again. After a few hours we had reached the end of the city. There was a large sand dune we had to climb up. The loose sand was difficult and the wind blew it into our faces. We reached the top and looked out.
"That's mountains. It's gotta be it. That's where we're going." Thomas pointed. Tall mountains stood across a large desert.
"That's a long way off." Newt commented.
"We better get moving then." I said and we all began to walk. That is until Winston just dropped. He fell into the sand.
"Winston!" we cried as we all gathered around him.
"What should we do?" Chuck asked
"We can make something." Teresa said "to pull him on."
"That'll work." Minho said getting up to find pieces of debris we could use.
After an hour of scavenging we were able to out together a small hammock type thing that we could pull through the sand.
Minho and Frypan pulled him. I carried Minho's bag even though he told me He could. When we went down hill the boys all carried Winston while Teresa and I carried the makeshift sled. We walked for most of the day and the wind picked up. It was hard to see and breathe. The sand scratched my face so I used the scarf I had grabbed to shield my head but nothing worked.
"We should find shelter!" someone yelled over the wind. We found a rock that blocked the wind and sand. We all crowded under it waiting for the wind storm to end.