Chapter Seventeen

AUDREY'S P.O.V.
My legs shook as I ran but Minho pulled me along with him. Newt never left my side either. We followed Brenda all the way to the room where we had met Jorge. He was waiting for us as we came up the stairs with a backpack slung on his shoulders. It was then that a realized a strange slow song being played over the intercomes throughout the building. I didn't get much of a chance to actually listen.
"Brenda, hurry!" The man urged, "We don't have much time. Let's go, let's go, let's go."
He guided us to a large window that went floor to ceiling. The glass was frosted and dirty so we couldn't see out of it. Jorge pushed in the window panes and they opened to reveal that we were on the very top floor of the building. Our only escape was the long zipline leading from the window to a different part of the building a hundred feet across. I gripped Minho's hand tighter as I looked at the five story drop.
"Oh, you've gotta be kidding me," Frypan said.
"You kids wanna get to the Right Arm?" Jorge asked, "I'll lead you to them... but you're gonna owe me."
With that he pulled a looped handle down and attached it to the zip line. He pushed himself off the edge of the window and we watched as he slid across.
"Alright, we have a limited amount of ropes so two of you will have to go together. Who will it be?" Brenda asked attaching another loop.
"Ill go with Chuck," I volunteered. I could see the fear in the boy's eyes. Minho and Newt both gave me questionable looks but I nodded to show I was fine.
"Okay let's go," Brenda told us and I grabbed onto the rope with one hand. Chuck stepped infront if me and held on with both hands. He looked over his shoulder and gave me a scared glance.
"It'll be alright Chuckie, I promise," I assured him.
"Be careful, both of you," Newt told us as we stepped up.
"Don't let her fall Chuck," Minho said surprisingly calm, almost in a joking kind of way. Minho was trying to help make him feel better. He did always seem to have a soft spot for Chuck. "Promise?"
Chuck nodded, "Okay."
"On three," I said, "one...two...three!"
We both lifted our selves off the ground and let gravity take over. I lifted my other hand to the looped rope as the floor left from underneath us. Both of us stared at the ground as we slid down the chord.
"It's so far!" Chuck yelled
"I know!" I yelled back to him, "This would be a bad time for this line to snap, huh?"
I looked at him to see a small smile on his face.
Soon we were sliding through a hole at the other end. Jorge stood waiting. Chuck put his feet down causing us to stop.
"That wasn't so bad," he said as we stepped out of the way of Minho flying into the room. He was followed by Newt and then Aris. Then came Frypan, who came barreling in so fast he didn't have time to stop. The rope he was holding onto reached the end of the line, but his momentum kept him going. His hands slipped from the loop and he went crashing into a pile of boxes and crates, spilling food everywhere.
"Do you always cause trouble wherever you go?" Jorge asked us and Minho and Newt helped Frypan stand.
"Usually trouble tends to find us," Newt replied smiling at Fry, who was pulling a piece of lettuce off of His head.
Teresa came into the opening and stood shakily as she put her feet down. She stumbled a bit but I held her shoulders to help her.
"Are you alright?" I asked
"Me and heights are not good together, I don't think" she said sighing.
"I get the same feeling with needles, don't worry"
She turned to look back at where we had come. "Thomas said he would be right behind me, but he ran after Brenda for something"
"What?" Jorge asked turning towards her, "What did Brenda do?"
"She just ran off and Thomas followed her," Teresa replied.
"The song's going to end by the time the get over here!" Jorge shouted, frustrated.
"What happens when the doing ends?" Aris asked
"Let's just say it will end with a big boom," the older man replied looking across the zip line.
"What in bloody hell does 'big boom mean exactly?" Newt asked
"You aren't going to blow the place up, are you?" Fryoan added
"Well it's a possibility," Jorge said without looking away, "as long as everything is set up properly,"
"You're blowing the place up?" Minho asked.
"They aren't coming," Jorge muttered, "Why are they not coming?"
We all looked back to where Thomas and Brenda were supposed to be.
"If they don't come across... what do we do?" I asked Jorge. I could tell he was worried about Brenda. If the building was about to explode, both her and Thomas needed to get over here and fast. The song's pace began to slow down signalling it's end.
"We have to go," he said
"But what about them?" Chick asked
"Brenda knows where to go," Jorge told him, "Let's trust they get out and we will continue on."
"Coninue on where?" Fry asked
"To the Right Arm. The song is almost done," Jorge said, "We have get out. Now."
"Alright," Newt replied "lead the way."
We each took one last look hoping to see Thomas coming across the line, but he wasn't.
Jorge lead us to a window and tried opening it, but it didn't budge. He grunted as he began to kick the glass causing it to shatter. He stepped out onto a rusted, metal fire escape.
"This is the fastest way, now come on! Let's go, let's go!" He urged and began running down the steps. We all followed. We went down one story when Jorge spoke. "Hurry there is probably only a few seconds left-"
Suddenly a blast shook the entire fire escape. I was thrown against the rusty railing, which snapped. I screamed as my feet slipped. Minho tried to grab my hand but everything happened too fast. I felt myself falling and reached out to grab onto the railing that was on the story below.
"Audrey!" Newt yelled
"We're coming hold on!" Minho yelled and I heard them stomping down the stairs.
My hand began to slip.
"Hurry!" I grunted trying to grab on with my other hand, but missing. It only caused it to slip more.