Chapter Twelve

AUDREY'S P.O.V.
We walked until the Sun went down. Everyone was exhausted when we each took a place around a small fire. We were hidden under and between old shipping crates. We took a few bites each of the little food we had and settled down for the night.
Barely anyone had said a word since we left Winston. We were all numb. It finally set in; The Scorch had broken our family. And we couldn't do anything about it.
"Here," Minho said offering a small piece of his food.
"I'm good," I answered shaking my head.
"Come on," he offered again "just take it. I don't want it."
"You and I both know that's a lie," I told him "In the glade you ate like ten thousand pieces of Frypan's bacon."
"I miss that," Chuck chimed in
"Me too," I said quietly.
"I cant believe we are saying that," Frypan added staring into the fire. "We all miss the shucking glade."
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

We walked for days. We were almost out of water and food. We were sore and thirsty. The Sun would beat down at us all day and for hours we would walk through it. We would use jackets to sheild ourselves from it, but the extra later would make us too hot, and then the thirst would be too much. We couldn't afford to drink too much water.
The mountains were still far and with every mile we walked they would get ten times further away.  We were going nowhere it felt like.
What little sleep we would get at night wouldn't do anything. At night the temperature drop was unbelievable. It would go from 100 degrees to less than forty in the matter of an hour. Minho would always stay close for warmth.
With his arm draped over my stomach I had my head on his chest drifting in and put of sleep. Newt was behind me being the protective brother even in our sleep.
Even in my half awake state I could feel the wind pick up, but my mind didn't register it until Thomas practically pulled me to my feet.
I clumsily steadied myself with the help of Newt's arm  while Minho was shaken roughly and told to get up.
"Look," Thomas told us, "I see lights!"
"Oh my god," I whispered as I looked out over the desert. There they were. Lights. Lights from a building that seemed close. But then I remembered the wind. Was it a storm? Looking at the sky I saw the darkening clouds. I turned and could see half a dozen tornadoes in the distance. It was a bad storm.
Minho turned to see what I was looking at.
"Guys go!" I yelled,"run!"
"Wha-" Thomas began as thunder sounded and lightning hit the ground a few miles away. A few miles was way too close for my comfort.
We grabbed our bags and ran. Minho pulled me ahead of him so I was next to Newt and Aris. Frypan was in the very front with Teresa and Teresa was pulling Chuck with her.
The building was growing closer as the storm caught up to us. Lightning was getting closer to us. We passed smaller building with doors that didn't open and headed towards what seemed to be the main one. Frypan reached the door and pulled. It opened.
He held it for Teresa and Chuck and soon after for Newt. He motioned me in but I stopped by him and turned. Thomas and Minho were still running.
"Come on!" I yelled.
Then a boom. And the ground shook.
A girl. She looked just like me. Identical. Same hair and eyes. Everything. We sat on a matteress in a corner of a basement. We were playing with small blocks. There weren't very many but we didn't complain. We laughed and talked and played.
I opened my eyes and almost nothing had changed. I was still outside with the storm raging above me. I was only out for a split second. I pushed myself onto my hands and knees looking up.
I was dazed and couldn't hear still. My ears rung as I looked up. Two boys. One moving while the other wasn't.
Thomas and Minho.
One was moving.
One wasn't.
"Minho!" I screamed.