Chapter Ten

AUDREY'S P.O.V.
"So What do We do now?" I asked as I sat next to Minho and Frypan. Minho and I were sharing drinks from an old water bottle when Newt came and sat with us. I reached over Minho handed the water bottle to Newt. He thanked me and took a short drink.
Minho shrugged, "I guess we just keep walking."
"We are almost out of water. I don't know if we can make it all the way there." Newt added
"Well we can't go back now." Frypan said.
A groan came from Winston who was laying a few feet away.
"If somebody's not gonna make it will be him." Minho whispered.
"Don't say that." I told him.
He shrugged, "its true."
I sighed and replied, "I know."
"How ya feelin Winston?" Newt asked looking at the boy. I turned and saw him rolling onto his side. He then lifted himself onto his hands and knees. Winston crawled towards us at a slow pace clearly struggling. I stood up and took a step closer to him.
"Winston?" I asked "what do you need? I'll get it, just lay back d- Winston!"
He began coughing and collapsed into his side facing away from me. His hand reached out towards one of the backpacks that were on the ground.
I stood up to see what he was getting as Minho came up behind me peering over Winston's body. He placed his hand on my arm cautiously watching the boy.
"Winston?" Minho asked stepping closer to Winston but he was ignored.
We watched as he dug around the bag slowly and then he extracted a gun.
Newt and Frypan immediately launched themselves at him to get it away from the sick and possibly delusional Winston.
Minho and I ran forward and grabbed Winston keeping him down on the ground.
"Winston let the bloody gun go!" Newt ordered struggling to keep Winston's arm from getting free and keep the gun aimed at a rock. Frypan had his hand on the barrel of the gun being careful to keep his hand out of the way in case the trigger was pulled.
After a few seconds Winston relaxed but didn't let go of the gun.
"Winston," I said softly "what are you trying to do?"
"You don't need me," he struggled to say as he tried freeing the arm holding the gun. Winston gave a strong push and his arm was pulled from everyone's grasp. Minho wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pushed me away. I heard the shot ring out.
"Thomas! Teresa!" Frypan yelled
I looked over Minho to see Frypan standing outside of the small rock hut as Thomas and Teresa ran towards us. Newt was breathing heavily leaning over with his hands on his knees a few steps away from Winston. The gun was in Newt's hand. Winston was coughing more blood rolling in the ground.
I let go of the breath I didn't know I was holding and looked at Minho. In the instant we both knew what Winston was trying to do.