Chapter Twenty-one

AUDREY'S P.O.V
I sat leaning on the window in the back seat of the old station wagon named Bertha. I sat practically on top of Minho in the cramped space. The both of us, Thomas, and Teresa had squeezed onto the bench seat while Brenda, Aris, Chuck, and Frypan sat in the very back and Newt in the front. He turned and smiled at us all smashed together then looked back out the open window.
We drove through the valley and up into the mountain range we had spent days trying to reach.
"What is that up ahead?" Newt asked leaning forward
"Looks like some cars broke down" Jorge responded, "somehow all in the same spot"
He brought the car to a stop and we opened our doors to climb out.
"Looks like we're on foot," Jorge announced.
We walked through the tangle of cars. Some had shattered windows, others were so covered in dust you couldnt tell what color they were. Newt leaned into one without a window but didnt find anything. When he turned around he shrugged at me and continued but I stared at the back window of the car. It was shattered, but mostly intact with a circular hole in the middle. Thomas was at the hood of the car looking at a similar shape borrowed into the metal. I turned to him and pointed out the window.
"Does this look like a bullet hole-" i began but the first shots interrupted. I dropped to the ground with Thomas and took cover with Jorge next to the bullet holed car. I crawled around to the back where we would be completely sheltered and Thomas followed as well.
"Is everyone okay?" Thomas yelled
"We're fine!" Teresa responded
"Does anyone know here those bloody shots came from?" Newt asked hiding behind the car ahead of our's but no one did.
"Marcus led us into an ambush," Jorge told us angrily and began searching through his bag.
Thomas looked back over the hood but shots rang out again narrowly missing him.
"Thomas!" I yelled. I gripped onto his arm and pulled him back down next to me. "What do we do?" I turned to Jorge as he dug into his small bag.
"Here, hold this," he held out a small homemade bomb and passed it to Thomas. We both stared at it questioningly. "We have to create a small diversion"
"A bomb is a small diversion?" I asked
"It will do," he responded, "get ready to chuck it"
He turned on the detonator and called out, "Everybody get ready to sprint back to the truck, and hold your ears!"
I sat up on my toes in a kneeling position getting ready to run. We were facing the car with Thomas holding up the bomb towards the hood in order to throw it over.
"Ready? One...two...thr-"
"Drop it." Came a voice from behind us and the cocking of a gun.