Chapter Eleven

AUDREY'S P.O.V
Everyone knew what Winston was going to do but no one wanted to say it. He's sick and weak and knows he is going to turn into a monster, and that's only if he survives.
Thomas and Teresa both questioned us and Frypan explained why there was gunfire.
He tried to kill himself.
No one spoke after that. I glanced around making eye contact with Teresa. She shook her head but I didn't know why. Her face had no emotion.
"I'm not gonna make it," Winston said breaking the silence. He raised his arm towards Newt who was holding the gun. "Please," he breathed, "don't let me turn into one of them. Please. Please." He begged dropping his hand when he got no response from anyone.
The gun was in Newt's hand. No one wanted to argue over something like this, I could tell just by looking at every face that surrounded the sick boy. Newt had the gun so it was up to him. Would he hand it over or not? That was the question.
Newt took a step forward.
"Newt..." Thomas began but trailed off.
I shook my head lightly. Minho grabbed my hand and my free one rested on his arm. I buried my face into his shoulder and Newt knelt down putting the gun in Winston's hands.
"Thank you, now..." Winston gulped "get outta here."
"Bye Winston," Newt said. His voice was rough and sad. This was really happening. Aris followed Newt as he walked away from the rocks. He took a last glance at Winston but didn't say a word. Frypan knelt down next to him. He was about to cry. I lifted my head off of Minho's shoulder and walked behind Frypan, Putting a hand on his shoulder. I didn't know what to say looking down at Winston.
"Go Aud," he said lightly, "keep the boys out of trouble" he tried to joke but coughed up blood afterwards.
I nodded tearing up. I looked behind me at Minho only to notice Chuck sitting on a rock behind him. I took one last look and gave a small smile. I grabbed Minho's hand and we both stopped in front of the poor kid. He was only twelve at most and had to witness this. I knelt down putting my hand on his knee.
"Chuck?" I whispered. He took his eyes off the ground. "C'mon. We're almost to the mountains, okay?"
He nodded and stood with me. He grabbed his bag and waved to Winston. He looked like he wanted to say something but didn't know how. Winston gave a weak wave in return. The three of us left Thomas, Teresa, and Frypan to say their goodbyes.
Teresa caught up to us quickly and a few steps later so did Frypan. Thomas followed a few minutes later.
No one spoke as we walked, no one had anything to say. We knew we wouldn't get far enough to not hear the gun go off so we waited silently. We all knew it would happen but it still surprised me. The shot rang out and echoed across the sand. I stopped and my breathing was caught in my throat. I let out a shaky breath. Minho wrapped his arms around my shoulders and kissed my head. Him and Newt, who was at the front of our pack, exchanged a quick glance.
I couldn't tell if we stayed put for so long out of respect or sadness but we stood as minutes went past. Finally Newt took the first step forward and so we all followed.