e p i s o d e | t h r e e

Valentine profusely apologized to me when she got home, immediately strangling me in her arms

"I totally forgot about the whole alcohol thing," she had whimpered guiltily, holding my face in her hands. "Oh, my god, Anna, how did I not remember that you'd be exposed to alcohol? I'm so sorry you had to go through that."

Kai had been less than pleased to hear that Rowan had taken me home, but he was even more upset that he hadn't been where I could find him. There are my best friends for you – they always take the blame, even if it was technically my choice to go to the party and my choice to go home in Rowan's car.

I'm even more terrified of school, however, because I'm afraid someone will recognize me as the girl Rowan had dragged out of the house. Or maybe people will come up to me and ask how my first party was, and I'll have to explain that I'd left in the middle of it because my traumatic memories had reemerged at the sight and smell of beer.

But, of course, that doesn't happen. Surprisingly enough, high school seniors are more apathetic about other people than you'd think. I guess there are some perks to people not being able to talk to me comfortably as well.

I see Rowan a couple of times throughout the day, but he's either surrounded by other people or I just chicken out from talking to him. I figure I should thank him, because I'd been so astonished by the situation yesterday that I'd forgotten. Finally, at the end of the day, after heading to my locker, I decide to find him at his. He gets his belongings surprisingly quickly, though, so by the time I find him, he's already almost out the door.

"Wait!" I call, running up to him as he attempts to leave the school. He stops and stares down at me coldly with his intimidating blue eyes. "Um, I just wanted to say thank you for yesterday."

There's a moment of awkward silence as we just stare at each other, before Rowan responds, "Okay."

Okay? That's all he's going to say? Seriously? I blink at him. "No, you don't understand. It would have been really bad if you hadn't been there. I might have ... I don't know, passed out or something." I definitely need some help in the art of conversation, but this guy's not doing too well, either. What else am I supposed to say?

"I said 'okay,'" Rowan says curtly, trying to move around me.

"But how did you know?" I quickly ask him, causing him to stop again. "How did you know that I wanted to go home?"

He looks at me with a monotonous expression, his head bent so that his dark hair is falling in a leisurely fashion towards one side of his face. "I told you, I knew that you didn't go to parties often. I could tell that you were completely lost, so I just did a good deed. Fair enough?"

It would be, if he wasn't so notorious for having a bad image. "But I still don't understand why you helped me," I persist.

"There doesn't always have to be a reason." A small flicker of darkness passes over Rowan's eyes, but it's so quick that I can't help but wonder if I'd just imagined it. "Anyway, I've got to get going, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't continue bugging me."