e p i s o d e | t w e n t y - n i n e (pt. 2)

I'm still crying in Valentine's arms as Kai paces around the room, his hand running through his hair

I'm still crying in Valentine's arms as Kai paces around the room, his hand running through his hair. Though my panicked sobs have slowed into tiny gulps of hopelessness, I can't help replaying what had just happened.

Why now? Everything was finally coming together. I'd finally realized what was important to me ... and in one fell swoop, it was completely snatched away from my fingertips.

Was this life's way of chastising me for leaving him once? To repay my mistake by making him leave me as well? And who knows for how long?

Val's hand continues to pat my back. "Don't worry, Anna," she says quietly. "We contacted the police. They'll find them."

"Hopefully not too late," Kai adds darkly.

Val glares up at him. Usually, Kai is the one who's comforting us, but he was just as shaken by the news. He can't stop walking around as he consistently mutters to himself under his breath.

"Hawthorne would never allow himself to die," Val says firmly. "He could beat up that creepy old guy in two seconds flat."

As much as I'd like to believe it, I can't bring myself to do that. Rowan may be strong, but I'd felt it when I had been stuck in Kane White's grip ... the pure rage and innate violence that ran through that man. It was terrifying. And simple strength would never be enough to overpower that kind of viciousness.

"Who said he was going to die?" Kai looks defensive. "Who knows what Kane White wants with him in the first place?"

That's a good question. Kane White had killed Rowan's mother and then, in a drunken fit of rage, had gone out and killed my parents on the same night. He hadn't cared about Rowan then, so why come back for him now? I'm sure there's some twisted reasoning behind his return, but I don't want to think about it. All I know is that Rowan is out there somewhere, and there is a possibility that I may never be able to see him again. I haven't even gotten to properly tell him how much meeting him has changed my life within a few weeks. Or how much I'm sorry for having avoided him because I associated him with his father's actions. Or how much I –

All of our phones suddenly beep simultaneously, making me jump. Kai glances at the screen and furrows his brows. "Huh. Tornado warning," he says. "I guess our side of Eastbrook has finally gotten hit."

"Rowan's out there, in danger, and all these people care about is a possible tornado?" I huff, tossing my phone on the ground.

"Anna, calm down," Val says, stroking the top of my head rapidly. "A natural disaster is pretty serious, for the average human being."

Kai throws her a warning look, but I know that I inwardly agree with her. I wouldn't have downplayed a tornado warning, had it not been for the situation I'm in right now. But all I can think about is whether or not Rowan is okay. He hasn't answered a single call or even given me the slightest indication of his safety. It's terrifying.

"I want to go after him," I decide, standing.

"Anna!" Kai grabs my arm. "Are you crazy? What are you going to do, walk after him?"

I pull my arm away angrily. "Yes, if you won't drive me."

"Anna. I know this must be tough for you, but I'm not going to drive you out there on a wild goose chase to look for Hawthorne." He shakes his head. "I'm worried, too, but the best we can do is wait for the police to find his car. You did your part."

I feel the tears starting to well up in my eyes again – not from anger or sadness, but because I know he's right. What can I do? It's infuriating, because I know how much he's done for me. And yet, I feel so helpless when it comes down to me.

"Just wait," Kai says again, forcing me to make eye contact with him.

I reluctantly give in, and sit back down next to Valentine. The entire atmosphere is suffocating, and it's silent for a long time.

But then, my phone starts ringing. My heart immediately leaps when I see Rowan's name across the screen, and my trembling fingers lift the phone hastily to my ear.

"Hello? Do you, by chance, know Rowan Hawthorne?" a female voice asks me.

A shudder goes down my spine for some reason. "Yes. Yes, I do."

"We are calling his priority numbers," the voice continues. "I assume you want to hear this."

I hold my breath, waiting for her to continue.

"Mr.Hawthorne ... he's at the hospital."