e p i s o d e | t h i r t y

A half-hour passes

A half-hour passes. An hour. Kane continues driving in silence. I don't know what he's planning, or how far he's trying to go, and I've stupidly turned my phone off to prevent myself from picking up Anna's calls. The slightest terror has started creeping into my veins. I've started wondering how he's planning on killing the two of us, if that's indeed what he's aiming for. I've begun worrying about how my legacy will only involve going to parties and hooking up with strangers – typical of me, thinking about my reputation even now.

And, of course, I've started preparing my long, telepathic message to Anna – and all of the things I've wanted to tell her up to this point.

Thank you.

I'm sorry.

I owe you my entire life.

And, most of all ...

"Where do you think would be the best place?" Kane suddenly asks me, interrupting my thoughts.

"What?"

"Where do you think would be the best place?" he repeats. "Where do you want to meet your mother?"

I freeze at the question. I can tell that he's not really giving me a choice, but I respond anyway. "Home. I want to go back to the house where you killed her."

Kane's hands tighten on the steering wheel, and he suddenly yells in a voice impossibly filled with rage, "I didn't kill her myself! She made me do it! She was going to leave me!"

I just snort at this, clearly infuriating him even further. "She had every right to leave you, after what you did to her."

His eyes are bloodshot. "What did you say, boy?"

"You murdered her."

Kane suddenly comes to a screeching stop. "Shut up."

"Why?" I taunt. "Everyone knows it already. Me, you ... the entire town. Everyone knows you killed her."

"I gave her everything," he growls, breathing heavily. "I devoted my life to her. And then she told me that I didn't have to work if I didn't want to, because she'd be able to take care of us." A small, disbelieving laugh escapes his lips. "Do you know what that means, Rowan? She didn't trust me. She thought that she could do better for our family. And that's why she got up and decided to leave."

"You're wrong," I respond simply. "She didn't leave because she thought she was more apt at caring for me. She left because you were fucking insane."

His eyes stay glued on me, filled with insane fire. I feel as though his hands are going to wrap around my throat at any moment, or that he's going to leap across the seat at me. But instead, he just lets out a long, throaty laugh, which, in some ways, is even worse. He laughs continuously – manically – for a good minute, before tapping his leg and shaking his head.