e p i s o d e | e i g h t e e n (pt. 2)

"What? Downtown?"

"What? Downtown?"

Sawyer's voice echoes through the other end of the phone as she lets out a small laugh. "Anna, did you just call me at eight on a Saturday to tell me that we're going on a trip? I didn't know you were this spontaneous. Today and tomorrow, you say?" There's a pause, before she finally agrees, "All right. You've got me. This sounds interesting."

"Really?" I chirp excitedly. "Awesome!"

"Buy me a drink in return," she teases.

I triumphantly glance around my room, debating on what I need to bring with me. I'd always been scared of leaving the town, even with Kai and Valentine, but now I'm excited for it. I guess this is what it feels like to be a real teenager.

My room door swings open as Val walks in, dazed and yawning. She rubs the top of her head and croaks, "Kai told me we're going downtown or something. What do I have to take?"

"A person," I respond, mischievously smiling at her. "Of your choice."

"Easy. Hawthorne." Valentine yawns again and taps her mouth with the palm of her hand. I can tell she doesn't believe me.

"Cool. All you have to do now is tell him."

Her eyes widen, and the sleep flits out of them. "Are you serious?"

"Yesterday, Kai and I each decided to bring someone, so it's only fair that you get to decide, too," I point out, unable to hide my grin at the enthusiastic expression on Val's face.

"Yes!" she exclaims. "We're going on a trip with Hawthorne!"

"Whoa," I put my hands out in front of her. "He didn't agree to it yet. Do you really think he'd want to go with Kai going, too?"

Valentine's face falls immediately. "Goddammit. You're right. And he'd never listen to me, either." Her eyes slowly move towards me. "But he'd listen to you, right? You can work spells on anyone, Anna. You're magical. You can convince him."

I stare at her. "Val, I –"

"Please, please, please, please," she begs.

Before I can answer, I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. When I glance at the screen, I see Rowan's name written across the top and immediately drop it before Valentine can see. A pang of guilt hits me in the chest, along with a wave of embarrassment. Shoot. I'm dating him, aren't I? And Val doesn't know.

"Who's that?" Val asks, nodding to my phone.

"A friend," I respond, smiling. "But fine, I'll talk to Rowan."

Valentine gives me a big hug before bouncing excitedly out of my room. I shut the door and answer the phone with a hushed, "Hello?"

"What the – Anna, are you seriously awake?"

I raise an eyebrow. "What do you mean, am I awake? You're the one who called me." I pause, before asking suspiciously, "And why are you awake at eight o'clock on a Saturday?"

"I didn't sleep because I was thinking about you."

There's a pause as my skin crawls in embarrassment, but Rowan lets out a snort at my silence. "I'm kidding," he says. "I took a three-hour nap and woke up. I thought I'd give you a personalized alarm clock by calling you, but you were actually awake."

"I've been awake for a while now," I inform him.

"Really? Why?"

"I'm going on vacation."

There's a moment of silence as he processes this. "On vacation?" he repeats flatly. "During a random time of the month?"

"Well, more like a two-day trip." I smile slyly. "Do you want to come?"

"Is that a legitimate question, or are you kidding?"

I shake my head, even though he can't see me. "I'm being dead serious right now. It's Val, Kai, and me, and even Benji and Sawyer are coming, too."

"Shut the hell up."

"I'm not lying!"

He pauses again, before his voice returns, "You're telling me that you want me to come on a road trip with Silver? I don't think you thought this one through, Anna."

"I did think it through, and he said he didn't mind."

"Okay, now you're seriously pulling my leg."

His lack of faith in me is frustrating. "I'm serious. Pack your things for two days, and you will undoubtedly be able to come with us. Would I ever lie to you about something like this?"

"I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out."

I decide to scare him into it, if cordiality isn't going to work. "You know ... we're going to be staying at a hotel. And I've never stayed in one before – especially not with two other guys. One of which I had a crush on for the longest time," I add mischievously. 

There's a pause, before Rowan asks, "Anna, are you already using the jealousy card?" 

Goddammit. He's sharp, and I'm miserably failing this whole "dating" thing. "I will get Sawyer to go to your house and drag you out if you don't stop doubting me," I finally growl. Time to resort to sheer threat. 

He finally seems to lower his guard, and I can almost hear the smile in his voice. "Okay, okay. But if you're pulling a prank on me, I swear, I'm going to disown you."

I roll my eyes. "You'd better be here within two hours, or I'm going to disown you."

Well, that wasn't too bad. It was a bit easier than I'd expected to convince him. Now all I have to do is get Val to convince Kai that Rowan is coming with us ... which I expect will be more difficult.

I poke my head into Valentine's door as she stuffs her suitcase with random artifacts around her room. "Val," I say, glancing at her as she tosses in several articles of clothing. "My god, Valentine. We're staying there for one night – not one week."

"I've got to look good the whole time," she says, tossing her hair over her shoulder. "Rowan might be there."

I bite my lip at the comment. "Speaking of him ... I contacted him, and he agreed."

She glances at me. "You contacted him already? That fast?" I start to wonder whether I'd made a mistake in approaching her so quickly, but her eyes gleam with excitement, completely disregarding my mistake. "You're a gem, Anna. I knew you'd come through for me. Now. How to tell Kai ..."

"How to tell me what?"

Kai stands against the doorframe and raises an eyebrow at us. "Did something happen?"

"Only the best thing ever," Valentine replies, her voice trilling in sing-song. "Rowan Hawthorne is coming with us."

Kai's face drops into disbelief. "You're shitting me."

"On the contrary, beloved brother, you're shitting yourself. Because you're going to have to spend two days with your nemesis." Valentine beams at him sarcastically.

"Is she serious?" Kai asks me.

I shrug my shoulders in mock ignorance. There are perks to being the innocent sibling at times.