e p i s o d e | n i n e (pt. 2)

By the time the afternoon rolls around, both Kai and Valentine kept their word about leaving the house

By the time the afternoon rolls around, both Kai and Valentine kept their word about leaving the house. I head down the stairs, curious as to what Grandma is doing. To be honest, I don't have much to do by myself. At times like these, I'll just have an open conversation with Grandma. After all, I know exactly what it feels like to be lonely.

She's sitting in front of the television screen, and, like a typical grandmother, is knitting something as she watches a variety of advertisements. I plop down on the sofa beside her.

"Anna, look at these ridiculous advertisements," Grandma croaks irritably. "Can you believe that they're trying to sell me a TV when we already have one?"

I just smile at her. "I know. It's ridiculous, isn't it?"

She shakes her head. "Do you remember when you first came into this house? Valentine and Kai didn't have a TV, but I was so worried that you would be bored that I decided to buy one. And yet ... none of you use it! I'm the one who's always sitting here."

I can't help but laugh at her frustration. "You know we have a lot of other things to do."

"I know," she huffs irritably. "That's why I wasted money." She glances over at me curiously. "By the way, lately I've been noticing that you look very energetic – even more than usual. Did something good happen at school?"

Am I really that different? I shrug good-naturedly. "Nothing much, actually." After a pause, I add, "Oh, Grandma. Can I ask you a hypothetical question?"

She narrows her eyes skeptically at me. "Is this a test?"

I shake my head. "No. I just need advice." Maybe I can get a little inspiration from her. "Let's say that you have two people. One is your close friend, and the other is a ... new friend, I suppose. What would you do if your close friend was on bad terms with your new friend?"

"What kind of question is that?" she snaps.

I roll my eyes. "I'm serious! It's a legitimate concern in society now."

Grandma looks a bit wary, but she dismisses it and goes back to ferociously knitting. "I guess it depends on your perspective. If it was me, I'd tell me close friend to stop being such a whiny brat, but then again ... you wouldn't say that to someone, would you?"

"Uh ... no." I would never say that to Kai. Never.

"Fine. In that case, I'd just do what my gut told me to. Is this new friend a good person?"

Debatable.

"Is this new friend beneficial to your life?"

Depends.

"Is this new friend important to you?"

I press my lips together and shrug at this question. "I guess you're right. There's no real answer to that, is there?"

Grandma waves me off. "Stop giving me such strange tests. I'm too old for this."

I give her a hug and stand from the couch. "Thanks, Grandma. You never cease to be helpful."

"I know," she retorts.

Heading back to my room, I contemplate what she'd said. Is this new friend important to you? Well, I don't know. As important as Kai and Valentine? Probably not. But then again ... the fact that my previous opinion of him had changed so drastically in such a short period of time tells me that there's some kind of ulterior force at work here. Why else would I feel such an intense drive to befriend someone, when I've never held a proper friendship before?

I quickly shake my head. I need to stop thinking about him. The more I contemplate our relationship, the more confused I get, and the more questions pop into my head.

I suddenly feel stuffy from being inside the house by myself, which is a new feeling. Perhaps I can visit the local park and muse over my thoughts there. Valentine, Kai, and I would always go there when we were little.

I could use some fresh air.