e p i s o d e | s e v e n (pt. 2)

The girl sitting next to me on the couch bats her dark eyelashes at me as she flips her wavy black hair over her shoulders

The girl sitting next to me on the couch bats her dark eyelashes at me as she flips her wavy black hair over her shoulders. I've never seen her before – she might not even go to Eastbrook; who knows? – and I definitely don't know what her name is, but she's pretty damn hot.

"You know, I wouldn't mind heading to a separate room," she coos suggestively.

I shrug. "You and me both."

"Then, let's do it." She uses my shoulder to push herself up from the seat and then grabs my hand. "Milana's house is huge. I'm sure we'll find somewhere private."

I allow her to lead me through the maze of people filling up the house. I mean, I'm not going to deny her, but I'm not encouraging it at the same time. This is how most of my hookups go – I usually don't bother doing anything, and allow the girl to do whatever she wants. Why put in effort when you don't have to? All I'm getting out of this is the benefits.

She leads me past the front door, which is open, allowing even more new guests to stroll inside. As we start heading up the spiraling staircase besides the entrance of the house, I notice the Silver twins walking inside. Typical that they'd be here ... but then again, they'd say the same about me. I start to look away from them when I suddenly notice an all-too-familiar figure walking in behind them.

Is that Anna?

No, it's not the Valentine-clearly-did-your-makeup-and-dragged-you-here Anna, but the pure-faced, innocent Anna from school walking inside. From the less-confident aura that emits from her as she follows her siblings, I can indubitably say that it's her.

I rip my hand away from the dark-haired girl's midway up the staircase, and she glances over at me in confusion. "What's wrong?" she asks me.

"I'm not feeling it," I respond coldly, before heading back downstairs. Damn it, Anna. I just lost a catch because of her. It wouldn't be hard to find another, but still ...

I follow a few steps behind the Silvers as they walk through the house. I notice that Valentine is keeping a much better eye on Anna this time – as she should be, considering that Milana goes absolutely insane with the alcohol. And that brings forth another question: why is Anna here in the first place?

If she made this decision out of her own free will, then she's ironically stupid for a smart girl.

Once Kai breaks free from the trio, I immediately quicken my pace and catch up to Anna, tapping her on the shoulder. She turns around rapidly, as if scared, but drops her shoulders in relief when she sees me.

"What are you doing here?" I snap.

"Are you going to ask me that every time we run into each other?" she retorts, looking somewhat offended.

Valentine turns around, her face brightening when she sees me. "Hawthorne! You're here, too! What a coincidence?" The fake surprise in her voice is cringe-worthy.