A Love Like No Other

Merry and I were sitting adjacent to each other, underneath an old Elm tree that stood in the middle of the Eastfarthing Woods. It was the tallest tree in the forest.

Green leaves that were shaped like teardrops spread across the crooked arms of the tree. Rays of sunlight shone through the translucent leaves.

The sky was overcast. A giant gray cloud eclipsed the sun. A cold gust of wind blew in my direction, sending shivers down my spine. I wrapped my arms tightly around my torso. "It's so cold." I grumbled. I wished that I had brought a sweater along with me. All I wore was a blue, cotton blouse and a thin, white skirt.

I envied Merry. The wind never bothered him. He wore a thick, warm sweater. I sighed, in frustration.

Merry fixed his gaze on me. He noticed that something was agitating me. "What's the matter, Brianna. Y'all right?" I clenched my teeth together. "N...N...No." I shivered. "I'm...c-c-cold."

The thin hairs on my arms stood up on their own. The cold air became unbearable. My body was frozen; I was completely immobilized.

Merry shuffled towards me and wrapped his arm around my back, protectively. When he placed his hand on my shoulder he jerked backwards. "Oh my goodness! You're freezing!" he exclaimed.

I shamefully nodded my head. I stared at the forest floor with downcast eyes. "I'm sorry." I apologized.

Merry shook his head. "You don't need to apologize for anything." he said, genially. "Here. You can take my jacket. You need it more than I do." His eyes were fixed on the buttons of his jacket. "Hmm, let's see here." he mumbled to himself.

I patiently watched as Merry unbuttoned the jacket. The hobbit quickly removed it from his body and set it down in his lap.

"Stretch your arms out." Merry instructed. I slowly stretched out my arms into the air. Merry slid my arms though the jacket and my hands burst out of the sleeves. I watched as he gradually buttoned up the jacket. When he got to the last button, Merry chuckled and grinned.

"Thank you so much, Merry. That was kind of you to give up your jacket." I said, gently. Merry shook his head. "Eh, you don't have to thank me, Brianna. It's the least I could do. In my opinion, I think that jacket looks adorable on you. So....adorable."

My cheeks turned a bright shade of pink. "Thank you." I replied, timidly. A wide grin grew upon my face. I chuckled, softly. "I don't think I've ever gotten a compliment quite like that before."

Merry moved in towards me and enfolded his arm around my neck. His voice drifted into a whisper. "Oh my goodness, you're still cold." he jested. "But, I'm not cold, Merry." I replied. "Yes, you are." Merry chuckled.

Merry wrapped his arm around my torso and embraced me like a child. I was bewildered. I raised my eyebrows in surprise. My green eyes were filled with uncertainty; a worried expression grew on my face. My lips quivered.

"Merry, I'm...I'm not cold." I said, timidly.

"Shhh, shh." Merry insisted.

The sunlight shone through the hobbit's long, strawberry blonde curls. Merry placed his index finger upon my soft lips. All of a sudden, Merry leaned forward and kissed me; our lips came into contact. Merry placed his warm, silky hands on the sides of my cheeks. His long, narrow fingers stretched out across my face.

The kiss was magical. It felt like I had been under a wizard's spell. My dark green eyes widened. I was awestruck. "M-M-Merry. I...I...have no idea....what...to...say." I stuttered.

"How about 'I Love You'?" Merry smirked. "Come on. Let me hear you say it, Brianna."
I chuckled, nervously. "Um...um....I...Love you?"

Merry laughed hysterically. "Ha, ha, ha! I knew you had it in you! Now, it's my turn."

"I love you, Brianna." Merry whispered. "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. You're my angel. My angel."

"Merry, that's so sweet of you to say that." I replied. Merry grinned. He ran his hand through my short brown hair and kissed my pale forehead. "Thank you." I said, gingerly.

"You're welcome....my angel." Merry tittered.

I looked up at the sky once more and noticed that it was getting awfully late. I rose from the ground. Merry followed suit. "I'm sorry, Merry. I wish that I could spend more time with you, but it is getting late. How about you meet me at Bag End tomorrow and I'll ask Frodo if you can come over for a while?"

"That sounds wonderful." replied Merry. Merry looked up at the dark sky and then he fixed his light blue eyes back on me. "Would you like me to walk you home, Brianna?" I smiled at Merry's proposal. "Sure. That...that would be nice."

Merry's right hand clasped onto mine and we quietly strolled through the woods. Our arms rocked back and forth in slow, gentle motions. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth.

When we arrived at the front gate of Bag End, Merry took my hand and kissed it, softly and tenderly. Then, he leaned forward and kissed me affectionately on the lips.

"See you tomorrow, my lovely one. I hope you have a wonderful evening." Merry complimented.

"You too, Merry." I said, timidly.

"I'll see you in my dreams." Merry whispered in my ear, before he left. The hobbit politely waved to me as he jogged down a long dirt trail that lead into town.

"You too, Merry." I murmured to myself.
"You too."