I Can't Sleep

I spent most of my day over at Merry's hobbit hole in Buckland. Frodo said that he was going to be busy for a few days. He told me that he was going to visit some relatives; his grandfather, Gorbadoc Brandybuck and his grandmother, Mirabella Took.

I had just gotten settled into bed. The guest room that I was staying in was comfortable enough for me. It was warm inside. I slowly shut my eyes and decided to go to sleep. But, I didn't sleep for long.

I only slept for about 15 minutes, then I woke up. I snatched my glasses off the nightstand beside my bed and adjusted them onto my face. I scanned the room. For some strange reason, something about the room seemed eerie. I wasn't used to sleeping in Merry's hobbit hole. It was quite different than Bag End. There were butterflies in my stomach; my muscles tensed up. I could not fall back asleep. I think the reason for feeling this way was because I was homesick. I wasn't used to having Frodo being away for this long.

Merry told me before bed that if I needed anything, he wasn't far away. He told me that his bedroom was just down the hallway. I assumed that Merry was asleep. I thought that it would've been impolite to wake him up. I tried laying back down again and closing my eyes, but then I jumped back up and shook my head.

"Ugh, I can't sleep at all." I groaned. "I might as well tell Merry. I'm sure that he wouldn't mind. I could never bother him. He loves me."

I slowly crawled out from my bed and quietly tiptoed out of my room. Merry had already shown me where his bedroom was, so I didn't have a difficult time locating it. When I arrived there, I gingerly knocked on his door.

"Come in." Said Merry. He didn't sound tired or grumpy at all.

I twisted the doorknob and entered Merry's bedroom. Merry was sitting upwards in his bed, looking at me.

"Hey, Bri

"Hey, Bri. Is something bothering you?" He asked. "You probably can't sleep, can you?"

I shook my head. "No, I can't." I said, in a groggy voice. "I can't sleep in that room. I-I can't."

"I'm sorry to hear that you can't sleep. Would you like to sleep beside me?"

I was surprised that Merry would offer to let me lie down beside him. I didn't know how to feel about it, but it was probably better than sleeping in that creepy room all by myself.

"Um, sure." I said, shyly.

Merry patted down the other side of the mattress. "Come here, Brianna. You'll feel a lot more comfortable with me. Get yourself all settled in."

I walked over to the other side of Merry's bed and carefully slid myself in the sheets. I looked back at Merry. "Thank you for letting me stay with you. It....it means a lot. Thank you."

Merry grinned. "You don't have to thank me, Bri. Here, why don't you move in a bit closer? Come snuggle with 'ol Merry. Don't worry, I'll keep you safe."

I shuffled myself closer to Merry and he wrapped me in his arms. He held me close to his warm body, protectively. Then, he began to rock me back and forth in gentle motions.

"My beautiful angel. My sweet and beautiful angel." Merry whispered. "Let me hold you until you fall asleep. Go to sleep. Go to sleep."

I was coaxed by the sound of Merry's soft voice. Merry pressed his lips against my cheek and kissed me, compassionately. I felt so much comfort.

All of a sudden, Merry stopped rocking me and he lowered me down into the bed, tucking me in, snugly. He laid down beside me and brushed my hair over my ears and moved in close.

"Goodnight, Brianna." He said, while kissing my temple. "I love you so much. Get some sleep, m'dear."