A Change Of Heart

"I'm not sure if this is a good idea, Merry." said Frodo, anxiously. "I don't think Brianna is ready for marriage."

Merry crossed his arms in frustration. "But, this is what Brianna wants. She told me that she wishes to marry me."

"Are you sure about that, Merry?" Frodo asked, suspiciously. "Are you sure that this is what she wants?"

Merry shook his head. "Yes. She really wants to marry me, Frodo."

"Did Brianna ask you to marry her or did you ask her if she wanted to marry you?"

A smug grin appeared on Merry's face. "I asked her." He said, proudly. "Why do you ask, Frodo?"

Frodo cleared his throat. He spoke in a stern voice. "I'm asking because I'm worried about Brianna's well being. She's really important to me. I don't want anything happening to her. You must understand, Merry. She's my daughter."

"I know, Frodo." said Merry, while rolling his eyes. "But, I really do think that Brianna would be much happier if I married her. If she were living with me, I'd take really good care of her. I'd be the perfect husband."

Frodo crossed his arms. "What makes you think that?" He asked.

"I would give her everything she needs and love her each and every single day." Merry replied. "Because she deserves it. I wouldn't be overprotective and overbearing like you. You don't give her much of a life."

Frodo's eyes widened. There was anger brewing inside of him. Merry's words cut Frodo like a knife. They were sharp and hurtful. Frodo was a very sensitive hobbit. He didn't take insults or rude comments lightly.

"How dare you say that about me!" Frodo shouted.

Whenever Merry talks to someone, he doesn't take the other person's feelings into consideration. He only cares about his thoughts and opinions. He always thinks he's right. Whenever someone tries to correct him, Merry will try to tell them that they're wrong and that he's right and he'll use logic to prove it.

"Well, it's true, Frodo." Merry blurted out. "You never give poor Brianna a life. I could give her a better life than this one. Plus, you don't even know how to protect her. You're a coward. Face it, Frodo. You don't know how to defend yourself, let alone defend your own daughter. Brianna tells me that the other hobbits bother her. Why don't you do anything about it?"

"I....I..." Frodo stuttered.

"That's right. You don't do anything about it. How can you stand up for her if you can't even stand up for yourself? Brianna needs a strong man in her life. She needs me more than you."

"Brianna still needs me!" Frodo corrected Merry. "I'm the one who brought her here! I'm the one that gave her this life! If I hadn't of found her out in that forest...."

Merry and Frodo paused for a brief moment and looked at each other. Frodo felt a heavy lump growing in his throat. He pressed his hand against it and took a deep breath.

"I....I'm....sorry, Merry." Said Frodo, in a sad tone of voice. "I...I can't do this. This is too much for me to handle at this moment. I'm so sorry."

All of a sudden, Frodo choked up and tears were streaming down his pale cheeks. His blue eyes became wide and turned a lighter shade. His nose turned bright red. He pressed his hand against his heart, sorrowfully.

"Brianna...." Frodo whimpered.

Merry cocked his head in confusion. He wondered what had made his cousin all worked up.

"Frodo?"

"I'm sorry, Merry. It's just....Brianna....she...."

"What about Brianna?"

"Merry, I....I....know you love her....but....it's...not always about you. We....we both can love her. She....she's my daughter, M-Merry. P-p-please understand. If I hadn't of found her in that...forest.....she could've....died."

Frodo burst into a sea of tears in front of Merry. He could not help it. There was no other way that he could let out all of that sadness and pain.

Merry looked at Frodo with a concerned look on his face. He thought back to what Frodo had said to him about me. "Frodo was right all along. If he hadn't found Brianna, then I would never had gotten the chance to meet her. She would've been dead. I'm such a fool. How could I hurt my cousin like that?"

Merry moved in close to Frodo and began to speak. He talked in a comforting voice. "I'm sorry. About what I said. I, uh, should've listened to you. If you want to blame me, blame me. I can take it. It is all my fault. I know how much you love Brianna. She's your daughter. She's your only child. You're doing this all on your own; taking care of her. I take back what I've said. Sorry, Frodo. I am sorry."

"Thank you, Merry." Frodo sniffled. "I'm glad that you understand. I just hope that nothing will come between us. We are cousins, Merry. We shouldn't be fighting. If Brianna saw us, then we would've embarrassed ourselves."

"Indeed." Merry agreed.

Frodo wiped away the remaining tears on his cheeks and took a few deep breaths. "I think I need some hot tea." He said. "Would you like some, Merry?"

"Sure. Are you going to make it?"

"Yes. Why?"

"Just wondering. Are we having biscuits, too?"

"Sure."

The two hobbits smiled at each other and walked down to the kitchen, where they sat together and enjoyed each other's company and a delicious cup of tea. Frodo knew that the relationship between him and his dearest cousin could never be ruined. Merry was family. There is nothing more important than family.