Misunderstanding

As I had just walked into Bag End, I decided to fetch myself to a delicious snack from the pantry. I was feeling a bit peckish. I knew that there were some freshly baked biscuits that Frodo had made in the pantry. Oh, how I loved Frodo's baking!

I skipped into the living room, then into the kitchen, then I took a sharp turn and headed towards the pantry. When I arrived there, I found a large glass plate that with only a few biscuits left on it.

"I swear there were more biscuits." I thought. "Who could've eaten them all up? Frodo? No, it couldn't have been him. Frodo isn't that greedy."

I gazed down at the floor and found a small pile of crumbs. I shook my head, in frustration.

"Who left this awful mess?" I grumbled. I let out a loud sigh. "Oh, well. I guess I'm never going to figure out who did it." I frowned. "No more biscuits for me."

All of a sudden, I heard loud voices coming from the Eastern hallway. There seemed to be an heated argument going on.

"Brianna deserves to be happy! Don't you want her to be happy?! She's your daughter!"

"I know she's my daughter! Merry, you can't force her to live with you!"

"I'm not forcing her! I just think that it might be in Bri's best interest!"

"Her best interest?! Oh, what do you know?! You're a troublemaker!"

"Oh, dear." I said, quietly. "That doesn't sound too good. Not good at all. Maybe it might be a good idea to see what's going on. But, I have to be careful."

I started walking slowly down the hallway and headed towards Frodo's study. I had a gut feeling that he would be there.

When I arrived, I found that Frodo and Merry were still arguing. They didn't notice me at all. It made me upset to see them fight. I didn't understand why they were fighting in the first place.

There was a hint of unsteadiness in Frodo's voice.

"You only care about yourself, Merry. That's the only thing you've ever cared about." He said.

"No, I don't! I'm not selfish! If anyone is being selfish, it's probably you!" Merry snapped. "You just think that you're much better than me because you're a Baggins!"

I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't listen to them argue for another second. I had to stop this before it got out of hand.

"Stop!" I shuddered. "P-p-please, stop! Don't do this anymore!"

Suddenly, Frodo and Merry turned around and noticed me. Their cheeks turned red in embarrassment.

"B-Brianna...." Frodo stuttered. "I-I-I....I'm so sorry."

Merry chuckled, nervously, "You....you didn't hear all of that. Did you?"

"Why were you and Frodo arguing with each other?" I asked, suspiciously. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No!" Said Frodo and Merry, in unison. "You didn't!"

"Then, what was going on?" I asked. "Frodo? Merry?"

Frodo and Merry looked each other in the eyes. Guilt and shame had come over both of them. They realized that they ended up embarrassing themselves.

"It was just a misunderstanding, that's all." mumbled Merry, with his head lowered. "It was nothing."

"We're both very sorry, my dear." Frodo whispered. "You shouldn't have had to listen to all that nonsense. Merry is right. It was just a misunderstanding. I'm so sorry for all of this."

"I...I'm sorry, too, Brianna." Merry stuttered. "I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I promise that I'll make it up to you. Please, accept my apology. I didn't mean to make you worry."

"Will you forgive us, my dearest, Brianna?" Asked Frodo, in a soft, relaxed voice. "We'll make sure that this doesn't happen again."

"They're apologizing to me." I thought to myself. "They truly do care for me. I guess I can overlook that argument. I'll forgive them. It's the right thing to do."

"Do you forgive us, Bri?" Asked Merry, anxiously?

I nodded my head and smiled. "Yes, I do. I do forgive you. I know that you and Frodo didn't mean it. I know that you and Frodo both love me. It's alright. I forgive you."

"Thank you." Said Frodo and Merry. They both walked up to me and gave me a warm, reassuring hug and a comforting kiss on the forehead.

"You're welcome." I smiled.