In The Garden

It was a bright, sunny day in the Shire. Frodo and I were standing in Frodo's beautiful garden. Many colourful flowers bloomed from each bush like fireworks. There were an abundance of daisies, roses, bright red petunias, cheerful yellow daffodils, and multicoloured tulips that Sam had just planted yesterday. All of the flowers gave off a sweet smelling aroma.

Frodo admired his garden. Every time he stepped into it, a giant smile would grow on his face. I found him gently stroking a rose with the tip of his index finger.

"These flowers are absolutely wonderful." said Frodo, in a quiet voice. The sunlight shined into Frodo's eyes, causing them to look translucent. They twinkled with happiness.

Frodo fixed his gaze on me. "What do you think of these flowers, Brianna?" he asked, curiously. I smiled and nodded my head. "They're so beautiful." I replied, quietly. "How long have these flowers been planted here for?"

"This was my Uncle Bilbo's garden. I remember when I was younger I used to visit Bilbo. He'd walk me through the gardens and tell me how much he loved every single flower." replied Frodo.

"What was your Uncle's favourite flower, Frodo?" I asked, curiously.

"Bilbo always loved the daffodils. To him, they looked like bright, yellow stars. What do you think, Brianna?"

I squinted my eyes as I looked over at the daffodils. "They do sort of look like stars." I said.

Frodo nodded his head. I turned away from the daffodils and looked up at Frodo. "What are your favourite flowers, Frodo?"

"I absolutely adore the little petunias." Frodo answered. "They bring me such joy. They come in all sorts of sizes and colours. They're so beautiful. So fragile. So delicate."

Frodo gently stroked my hair back over my ear.
"They remind me of you." he continued. My cheeks turned a bright pink and I looked down at my feet.

"Th-th-thank you, Frodo." I stuttered. Frodo chuckled, softly. "You're welcome."

I felt the need to ask Frodo another question about his garden. "Frodo? Can I ask you a question?"

Frodo nodded his head. "Yes, you may." he replied, politely.

"How do you take care of flowers? I mean, is it hard?" I asked, timidly.

"Not at all. Sam has always tended to my garden. He has a love for all things that grow. Especially, flowers. You could ask him if you wanted to."

I shook my head. "I don't know. I don't really feel comfortable." I said, nervously.

Frodo smiled. " I understand."

"I-I-I was actually wondering if you could teach me." I stuttered. I shrugged my shoulders. "It's alright if you don't want to."

Frodo placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Oh, dear. I would love to teach you."
He took a hold of my hand and guided me towards one of the bushes of pink and white petunias. "Come with me, dear."

"Flowers are wonderful creatures." Frodo continued. "You have to make sure that they get lots of love and attention."

Frodo gently ran his hand through the bush of petunias. "You have to feed them. Take care of them. Nurture them. Watch them grow." he said, in a quiet tone of voice.

Frodo's eyes were glued onto mine. It felt like I had been under a magical spell. I had no idea what to say.

Frodo gently cupped his hand underneath my chin. "You have to take the time to love and appreciate these delicate little flowers. I find that each and every single flower is special in their own little way. Every one is special. Even you, Brianna. You will always be special to me."

Frodo reached for a petunia in the bush and yanked it from its stem. He tucked the flower in my short, wavy, brown hair, just like how a parent would tuck their child into bed.

"There we go. Now you look even more beautiful." Frodo smiled.

"You really think so, Frodo?" I smiled back.

"Yes. I do think so."