39: You Belong

***Ayana's POV***

I woke up lost.

It took me some time to register where exactly I was. I thought for a moment that I was in a hospital. But then I started to recognize the desk beside me, and I was pretty sure that the bed I laid on was not a hospital bed at all.

I slowly sat up and I looked around. My muscles felt stiff as I rolled my shoulders and stretched my arms above me. I yawned, then rubbed one of my eyes as I looked around the room again.

I then recalled what happened before. Mount Hikaru. The Ryokō demon. Rin was possessed.

Was it over? Or was the Ryokō demon still roaming that place? From what I remembered, Ryokō did leave Rin's body, and Hoshi finished the ritual; but did it stay that way? I didn't know.

I turned my body so I could lean my back against the wall. I stretched my legs out and my feet stuck off the bed in the process. I tilted my head back until it got to the wall. Then I took a breath.

It was quiet. I didn't hear a thing. Only the sounds of crickets in the distance, and the wind blowing into the night. The moonlight stretched into the room, and that's when I looked down, to my left.

I saw Kina. In her cat form. A soft fluffy white kitten that continued to sleep soundly. She was curled up into a ball, nuzzling beside my pillow. It brought a soft smile to my face. I lightly ran my fingers along her fur, but stopped when she stirred. However, she didn't wake up. I guessed that she was probably really tired. How long had I been asleep anyway? I didn't know that either. Were Rin and Yukio here? They might be in their room. Should I go check? Maybe I shou-

My thoughts were cut off when a black cloud appeared in front of me. My eyes widened. I knew exactly who this was.

I quickly looked around and beside my bed, I saw my katana leaning against it. I got on my knees, grabbed the hilt and unsheathed it. I pointed the katana towards the black cloud who's red beady eyes stared at me. Then I engulfed myself in purple flames.

"Geez relax." Ryokō said nonchalantly, "I'm not going to kill ya."

"Oh really?" I spat back with venom and sarcasm laced in my voice.

"... Yeah."

I was really pissed off at this demon. When I recalled everything he had done, anger welled up inside me. Below Ryokō, I willed my flames to appear and then, the purple flames rose up rapidly and engulfed Ryokō.

I wasn't very surprised that it didn't have much effect on him though. The black cloud rushed out of my flames, so I let out a tsk and allowed them to disperse.

"Wow you have quite a lot of energy,"Ryokō chuckled, "considering that you've been out for a month."

This caused my to freeze, "what?"

"Yeah, you heard me."

"... A month?"

Silence.

I stayed frozen for a while. Then I quickly shook me head. My black hair flailing in the process, "no..." I muttered, "that's a lie... I couldn't have been sleeping for a month... You're lying!" My voice raised a bit at the last sentence. That was when I heard noises from beside me.

"Hmm? What?" Kina muttered as her green cat eyes fluttered open. When they landed on me, they widened and she jerked up; now entirely awake, "Ayana! You're-"

She was cut off however, when the black cloud engulfed her and disappeared, "Kina!" I gasped.

When Kina opened her eyes though, they were that menacing red.