The Stumble

Alex was tired. Not physically. Just in her head. She was working at the store as per her mom's wish. She had nervous breakdowns every now and then.

One day when she was checking for some change in the cash register, she couldn't find any. The customer was getting uncomfortable. Alex tried to persuade her into buying a packet of cheese balls. It cost the exact amount of money that she needed to return as change. The customer wasn't taking it. She insisted on having her money back.

Alex didn't have any friends back then. She didn't know whom to ask for help. The lady was yelling at her now. She couldn't take it anymore. She tried to reason, but the old lady wasn't okay with it. The emotions had already started building up in her since morning. It only grew worse now.

She walked out of the counter and went straight ahead. She didn't dare to turn back or look at anyone. She went into the closet that was reserved for "Staff Only." She barged in and sat on the floor trying hard not to cry or scream. Just then her manager walked in.

"Get back to work young lady. You're here only because of your mother's good friendship with Mr.Fitzgerald. If you don't go out there now, I'll call him and have him fire you right away!"

She had to get out of this place. She didn't know how. But the strong girl that she was, she stood up and walked back to the counter. She didn't say a word. Meanwhile, that old lady had left with her change. Alex's co-worker Noah had cleared up her mess. She didn't know how to thank him.

It was time for lunch and all the staff members headed outside to the cafeteria. Alex didn't feel like eating. Even more so, she didn't want anyone to see her. She went out to the cafe next door.

Donut's Corner was an old school place that sold simple, scrumptious chocolate filled donuts for a reasonable price. Alex decided to munch down her sorrow and wash it out with some mango milkshake. As she ordered and sat down at one of the high stools, someone tapped from behind. She almost jumped out of her seat.

It was Noah. He smiled pleasantly at her. Alex wasn't sure what he wanted. She just smirked and moved on. She wasn't the kind of girl who would swoon over any boy who helped her out of troublesome times. Her trust issues were a little complicated to do so. She simply said "Hi."

On the contrary, Noah was quick to make friends. He was loved by all of his staff members at the store. He knew Alex since she was in high school. No they didn't study together. Her mom pulled her to the store every now and then to buy groceries and stuff. He was only 2 years older than her.

"So. You're just having donuts for lunch?"
"I'm not hungry."
"Right. I just wanted to say that I'm here if you need me. I mean, I can help if you want me to."
"Sure."
"Oh-Kay then. I'll see you back at the store."
"Kay."

God! Boys are so typical. They just have to save girls from all their problems all the time. Can't get a break from this ever! Ugh!