The Expectations

Three weeks had passed. Life seemed to be moving slowly and smoothly. Alex was enjoying it. The job may not have been what she pictured. But she definitely learned to deal with it.

My expectations were through the roof. This experience will be valuable.

She reminded herself of her blessings every day. She didn't feel like she'd changed, but Noah certainly did. She seemed more calm, more kind, more subtle and he was pleasantly surprised. She hadn't seen him in three days. He'd gone away "to sort out things with mom," as he said. She began to be worried about him.

Later in the night her phone beeped. It was a text message from Noah.

Call me.

She was starting to panic.

"Hey. Where are you?"
"I'm back home. Listen to me Alex. I want you to forget about me for the next two months. Can you do that?"

She was shattered. She couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"What?"
"I'm sorry to be doing this over the phone. But I got a call from one of my friends. I've an interview with the host of a travel show. I'm not sure if I'll get the job. If I do I'll be gone for two months. It's a small shoot at a wildlife sanctuary. In Africa! I'm so excited I can't keep my cool. Isn't this just awesome?"

She wasn't planning on forgetting him. It was only two months. She could wait till he comes back. She'd to confess something to him. Well, not confess. But admit that she loved him.

"Yeah. That's great. Congrats. But I can't forget you. I'll wait. It's just two months. We won't even know. Time will fly as it always does."
"I know. I didn't mean like forget forget. I meant it.. Anyway. Let's go out for dinner tomorrow. I'll be leaving in two days."
"Okay."
"See you then."
"Bye."

She didn't expect him to like her back. But she wanted him to at least feel bad for leaving so soon. She couldn't stop him. It was his dream. She didn't make any compromises when she got the job. But it was hardly ten minutes away from where he worked. Not so far from her reach.

There were a million thoughts running in her head. She was angry. She needed to scream. Or cry. She didn't know.

Everything seemed complicated yet again.