The Approach

"I was only trying to help you. You don't have to be mean about it. For a person of your age I expected more."

Alex couldn't believe what she had just heard. Even Noah seemed to start a fight with her every morning. She wasn't sure what he was trying to do.
How could he have even thought of picking up the customer's flowers that slipped out of her hand when she was billing the amount? She was supposed to do that. And now he was taking all the credit for her work? This wasn't to be taken lightly. No.

"Excuse me. But this is my job and I know how to do it. So don't come in my way."
"I thought you were different Alex. Looks like you're not."
"Will you just leave me alone?"
"You know what? That's the problem with you! You just want to be left alone forever. Try being human for once and let people be there for you."

The words came out almost instantly, he didn't realize how harsh he was being. Alex slammed the door and left the store ASAP. It wouldn't do to stay here.

Back at home, her mom was practicing yoga. She was stunned when she heard her daughter come screaming into the house. She shut herself up in her room. She didn't have food or water. She was "not ready to face anyone."

It was 11p.m. and Alex hadn't slept. Her mom was fast asleep in her room. Their pug Nancy was cuddling up with her. Alex saw a shadow moving on her window curtain. She got up and walked towards it. The curtain flew open. She was so scared she couldn't get her voice out. She lit the torch and saw Noah standing there.

"What are you doing?! And why are you here?"
"Don't scream. I'm not who you think I am.."
"But.."
"No. You will listen to me young lady. Sit down at once. I'm not trying to save you. Not trying to steal your spotlight. Not trying to ruin your life."

Noah air quoted his words.

"I'm just doing my job. And I want to be friends with you because we work at the same place for seven hours straight together. A little friendship never hurt anyone. So don't think that I'm trying to impress you on any other level. Okay?"
"Hmm. You could've told me this in the morning. Was it necessary to jump into my house?"
"Well. I wasn't sure you would turn up tomorrow."

She rolled her eyes. The tension was gone like that. Noah lifted the space between them and put some solid friendship there instead. He was happy. And so was she.