The Dinner

Alex was very uncomfortable that night. Her only best friend and possible match was going away for two months and she wasn't happy. In a way she didn't want to go for the dinner. She was so anxious and frustrated all at once.

She searched her whole closet as her mother looked on. Nothing seemed perfect for the occasion. Her mom wasn't helping by staring and laughing at her.

Even her mom knew that she had feelings for Noah. He seemed to be the only person who didn't know!

"This should be good. Right mom?"

She held up a yellow dress. Matched with a red necklace she looked "as pretty as a flower" according to her mom.

She reached the restaurant, nothing fancy. Noah was standing outside. He gazed at Alex as she walked towards him. He had never imagined a beautiful Alex.

Funny. Yes. Sarcastic. Yes. Witty. Yes. But beautiful was new to him.

"You look very pretty."
"Thanks. You look really good yourself."

Somehow Alex looked more calm at this time.

"Let's go in."
"Okay."
"So. Do you want to talk about my new job?"
"Yeah. Let's."
"Okay. It's actually very exciting but I'm definitely freaking out, like in a good way."
"Hmm. What if you like it so much that you decide to permanently settle there?"

Noah was struck silent at this thought. He couldn't find the right words.

"I don't know. Will you come if I do?"
"What?"
"Yeah. I mean it'll be nice to have some company in an unknown land. This is only a rare possibility. I'll probably just come back after two months."
"Yeah. Sure."

This was getting really awkward. Alex sure seemed confident. But she really was trying to hide her confused state of mind. She wanted to ask him so bad. Could she ask him out? Or will he?

"Will you go out with me?"

The words came out of her mouth so quickly that she didn't realize what she was saying.

"It'll be fun you know"
"Are you serious?"
"Yes of course! I don't see why not."
"Yes. You're right. This could be my only chance. After all I'm old."

They burst into laughter, laughing at their own stupidity and the other's vanity. It felt right. Sure they weren't the "cheesy" type of couple. But they liked each other, a lot and they complimented each other in the best way.

Their sense of humour, witty remarks and constant need for happiness kept them close. They didn't need to prove a point by kissing each other in public. All they needed was support from the other and a little craziness. The rest will fall into place in its own time.

Happiness came quickly. What they didn't realize was the missing piece that would tear them apart.