A New Day

It was weird not having anyone to call or text or even hang out with. It was her first day without Noah.

What will I do for the next two months? I don't even have any real friends to chill with. This is going to be so lonely.

Jacob from the photography department was sipping his tea at the cafeteria. He was alone. This seemed to be the right time for Alex to make new friends. Before she could even think of saying anything Jacob had walked up to her.

"Hey. Alex right? I'm.."
"Jacob. I know. Nice to meet you."
"Same here. So you've been here for like what a month or two?"
"Yeah. Six weeks."
"Great. How's it going? Are you enjoying your work?"
"It's not bad. This is new to me, but I like challenges."

She was definitely lying about that. Of course she didn't like. She was going to quit after gaining work experience for around six months. And challenges? Oh no! That was not on her to-do list.

"Oh. Hmm. I don't. I hate it here. Will probably quit in a month's time. I'm really not interested in photography. I would like to branch out to the design department."
"Oh. Okay. But you need the qualifications for that I guess."
"Yes. I do. That's why I've been applying for a course in design. I haven't found any good places yet. I might be a part time student at uni. That'll be fun."
"Haha. Yeah. Cool."

Part time student! What's this guy's deal? I can't imagine going back to uni. And talk about brutal honesty!

Jacob was nothing like Alex. He was very honest. Maybe a little too much. She couldn't understand how a person could be so open about his decisions to a stranger.

Yes. Of course he was a stranger to her. They'd hardly said hello. Although she was taken aback by his attitude Alex needed someone to talk to. It was this or nothing. The girls in her department wouldn't even look at her. She thought it was because she wasn't "perfect" like them.

For now she was going to stick with Jacob.

"Wanna grab some lunch?"
"Yeah. Sure."

They weren't the same kind of people. But maybe that'll be a good thing.